Auto column to auto floor HELP!!! I NEED..

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
My 1970 Duster has a column automatic now and I want to put it on the floor. What parts do I need and does anyone have them for sale???? Help me out or send me to the right place.

duster 029 (Small).jpg

the floor shift steering colum is the most difficult part to find.

Hadn't thought about which shifter... I guess I'm open to suggestions.Whats the difference in the two?? What would you put in?? Keep in mind there is money involved and "the skys not the limit". Thanks.

an aftermarket is definately cheapest and easiest as jegs or summit offers several that bolt in with existing stuff ,the drawback to these is the shift cable which has a tendency to melt if not routed properly or protected. A factory setup requires minor welding to attach console brackets the shifter and all linkage ,usually available on ebay but not too cheapand some careful alignment on the tunnel. as far as the steering collum hole i have ground them off and covered the hole with an old school tac and clamp. and mornin redfish and dartman

I had a B&M Quicksilver shifter in a 68 Charger. I loved that shifter. The key to installing one that is after market is the cable location. It's got to be free from heat and also not to kink it. Nice long bends is the best. I have seen them wrap all the way around the transmission and then hook to the linkage. But it was a smooth shifter. You can get different cable lengths like 3', 5' etc. When I converted my column shifter to floor I found a manual shift steering column and switched it out. You never would have know it was a column shifted car at one point.

Correct steering column is a one year only piece for a 70. I have one if you a looking but I paid a decent dollar for it and want what I have in it.

I also have an auto console.

Other than that the parts aren't tough to find. I believe someone is reproducing the floor brackets which is a little difficult to find.

If you go aftermarket, you don't need any of the floor components.

Well let me know.. Its power steering ,does that matter? console huh? didn't think about that. Price is everything.

Hadn't thought about which shifter... I guess I'm open to suggestions.Whats the difference in the two?? What would you put in?? Keep in mind there is money involved and "the skys not the limit". Thanks.

this is the best shifter have used ... the cable goes around the rear of the trans wich keeps it away from the hot headders. plus it works so smooth..

CHEETAH SCS SHIFTERS

http://www.turboaction.com/shifters.html

you want it to be all flashy with cheap looking chrome or work well?? it is just fine on the street.. hell you put it in drive and go... then if you want to race you can shift through the gears and not slip past a gear when you slap it... personally i think installed with its console that it looks pretty good...

Here is a pic of mine in my 63 dart. Hurst promatic 2. almost two years and no issues, Not even a cable adjustment. It is also the ratchet type shifter that you can slap into gears. Like the others said though "cable routing is the key" Almost forgot, I did have to relocate the heater controls back a little. And afternoon Daredevil.

you want it to be all flashy with cheap looking chrome or work well?? it is just fine on the street.. hell you put it in drive and go... then if you want to race you can shift through the gears and not slip past a gear when you slap it... personally i think installed with its console that it looks pretty good...

Well actually now that you ask both.

The flashy cheap chrome you speak about came standard in most cars back then. Pistol grip shifter had chrome, Hurst shifter had chrome and most automatics that had a console came with chrome accents and all worked well.

Here is a pic of mine in my 63 dart. Hurst promatic 2. almost two years and no issues, Not even a cable adjustment. It is also the ratchet type shifter that you can slap into gears. Like the others said though "cable routing is the key" Almost forgot, I did have to relocate the heater controls back a little. And afternoon Daredevil.

Now that looks good. I like the ratchet type shifter. Yours reminds me of the B&M Quicksilver I had before.

The flashy cheap chrome you speak about came standard in most cars back then.

and bread used to be 30 cents a loaf.. things change... you asked for options.. if you want to go with that cheap stuff just because it has chrome on it then do it.. its your car... you want one that works and works very well and runs the cable away from normal problem areas then go with the turbo action... i've used a few different ones from hurst and B&M and none compare to the turbo action...

I'm daring to be different,and leaving the three on the tree along with the bench seat to complete the sleeper look....

I agree with Joe here, If you go aftermarket the Turbo Action shifter is the only one I will in my cars. B&M and Hurst auto shifters are a PITA. The T/A is pricey but much like TTI headers, You get what you pay for.

I completely concur on the T/A Cheetah SCS; that thing rocks. If you're not going the factory route for whatever reason, get one.

Hey CrackedBack: What's unique about the '70 edition floor-shifted column? I have two '70 340 Dusters with floor shifters, and a spare '70 floor shift column up in the rafters, and I've never known that there was anything unique about them...keeping in mind that I've never owned a '71. What changed??? I've got '73 & '74 models also, and they have the locks that must be depressed to remove the keys - did this begin in '71? Thanks for any info.

Ray

Wow guys lots to look at and ponder over. I knew I could count on opinions here... Yea I'm not a stock kinda guy,I want it to be personallised.Thats just my thing.And the lemon twist will be covered with Hemi Orange too...
So guess I'm lookin to buy If you got'em let me know.

I am so offended!!!LOL. Now you guys got me thinking about the cheetah......Since I've never used anything but the one I have now. Darn, I really like the direct linkage too. A cable is a cable if you know what I mean.

I agree with Joe here, If you go aftermarket the Turbo Action shifter is the only one I will in my cars. B&M and Hurst auto shifters are a PITA. The T/A is pricey but much like TTI headers, You get what you pay for.

I'm not saying that the turbo action is not a good shifter I'm saying they are just ugly. LOL

I completely concur on the T/A Cheetah SCS; that thing rocks. If you're not going the factory route for whatever reason, get one.

Hey CrackedBack: What's unique about the '70 edition floor-shifted column? I have two '70 340 Dusters with floor shifters, and a spare '70 floor shift column up in the rafters, and I've never known that there was anything unique about them...keeping in mind that I've never owned a '71. What changed??? I've got '73 & '74 models also, and they have the locks that must be depressed to remove the keys - did this begin in '71? Thanks for any info.

Ray

Yep, started in 71...

70 is the only year that has the key in the column and DOES NOT have the thumb key release slider mechanism. 71 and up have the same basic column, but, have the key release mechanism on the collar closest to the dash. Here's a pic of the release mechanism on my 71 Duster.
Picture.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back