Auto column to not auto column conversation question

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
So I bought the reproduction column collars to rebuild my auto column to not auto column and use a console shifter for the auto trans instead. Here is my question, I bought all I think I need but may be missing a detail. When removing the shift sleeve and using the ER-16 bearing at the bottom of the column to support the shaft is there any other sleeve needed to be able to install the non column shift collars? Working on a 1971 or 1972 column for duster so bought the later collar set. It’s all in the mail still so do not have all of it in hand to know but not sure if I am missing a detail that requires a part I didn’t account for.

Without knowing the exact parts you ordered....I'll put my two cents worth in. I assume you're getting the two main castings? The smooth version of the shift collar section and the gear indicator section? If so, that should be all you need. The only problem I can see you might have is the shift indicator section. '70-1 use a different ignition lock cylinder than the '72-up version. The '70-1 lock has a knife blade type retainer to hold it in the housing slot. The '72-up version uses a lock cylinder with a round pin and corresponding hole in the housing.

Snag one, do I use the wavy washer or not on step one of reassembly with the rotating spring loaded manual collar?
Already found a general purpose light dutyish spring for the collar, just need to get this right since it’s very deep in the column. I’m not old enough to know what tension the spring should feel like when trying to rotate the collar so errored on the light side for an awkward finger to operate to remove key? Is that correct?

-
Back