Auto Console Bracket Screws

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
im posting this here and the Interior section to hit as many people as possible. I’m restomoding my ‘67 from column to console shift. I had to buy console mounting brackets from AMD (Auto Metal Direct) but I cannot figure out what screws or bolts to use to mount the console to the front and rear brackets. I thought #10 sheet metal screws from Home Depot would work since I couldn’t find any “specialty” console mounting screws on-line but those Home Depot screws are too loose and wobbly once they get started and will not actually tighten down when screwed as far as they can go, they just slide up and down the bracket slot. What did Chrysler use on these things ? The bracket screw holes are slotted so they can’t be threaded to use a machine screw. I cannot reach them from underneath to use a nut. What is everyone else doing? Also, I’ve looked on-line at the stock front console mounting brackets and they “seem” to be of equal height on either side; the one AMD makes have one bracket side about one inch shorter than the other; their website, all the different vendors, same thing, one side lower than the other, is that correct? If so, what side (short side, long side) goes on the driver’s side of the tunnel hump? Thanks for the help! JD

I am also trying to find the right mounting screws for the console in my 68... car came with the brackets but no screws to mount console to brackets.

I eventually used #10, stainless steel screws. I used stainless because it was a harder steel than machine screws and I think I used pan head. I think the “real” size is closer to a #11 screw but what I bought from Home Depot is working. The zinc screws were too soft of a metal.

Thanks JD.
I picked up some #8 sheet metal screws to try but found they were too small to grab and had a larger screw size lying around and tried it... Think it is a #10 and it appears to hold fine.
Will pick up some more from the hardware store.
Think I saw on another thread some mention of the integral washer type screw being the correct (original) type for this application so will see what I can find first at Home Depot. Eventually though I would prefer to have something that matches oe.

I repeatedly tried to find OE but gave up and used the stainless number 10 from Home Depot, it’s all I could make work and no one on line made the screws for the A body consoles. Good luck.

I eventually used #10, stainless steel screws. I used stainless because it was a harder steel than machine screws and I think I used pan head. I think the “real” size is closer to a #11 screw but what I bought from Home Depot is working. The zinc screws were too soft of a metal.
There is a #12-24 and 12-28 machine screws before you get to 1/4". Mopar didn't use anything weird back then. (metric, Whitworth etc)

Update:

In my search I gathered a couple options from home depot. When I went to inspect the console under the carpet trim I was surprised to find there were screws trapped in the console (forward) mounting hole locations under the carpet trim of the console but that were not screwed into the mounting brackets. (which is why I assumed the fasteners were missing.

I removed one of the screws and washers I found under the carpet trim and took a picture of it next to the stainless #10 oval head phillips screws and bag of #10 stainless finishing washers I purchased from HD.

This is how they compare. Looks like the "original" screw is the next size down at 1 1/4" long.

(The shorter screw in the pic is what I found in the console. Original? I don't know for sure but they work and do match what I found in the car.)
IMG_0274.jpg

-
Back