Auto tranny to Manual

-

fgrossi

Reaction score
Hey Guys
have a 1973 duster 340 with A727 auto tranny,was thinkin of converting to manual
anybody know what is required as far as parts and modification to car?
and can it be done?

thanks
Frank

Yes it can be done,but it,s expensive $$$.Frame connectors are nice in a 4 speed car.You could also have your tranny (727) built with a manual valve body for cheaper.Good Luck!

Besides the "parts", you'll need to change the tunnel for the shifter. An automatic car just has a normal looking tunnel but the 4 speed has a huge pedestal / box bulging out the drivers side of the tunnel. I think I saw the 4 speed tunnel section on Year One or Mancini. You would have to cut out about an 18" section of your tunnel and weld the 4 spd one in. Other than that it's transmission, flywheel, bellhousing, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout brg and fork, complete pedal assy, Z bar and linkage, shifter and install pilot bearing in your crankshaft. That's all !!!!
limelite70 is right about the cost, the best way to do this is find someone who is converting from 4 spd to auto and buy everything complete. I've seen postings on this site as well as fleabay with completes and they are usually around $2000. The reason I know this is my car was auto from the factory and was converted to 4spd and I was keeping my eye balls peeled to see what I might get for the whole shootin match if I was to convert back. Kev

thanks guys,didn,t figure it would be cheap but will look for someone who may want to exchange.
thanks

thanks guys,didn,t figure it would be cheap but will look for someone who may want to exchange.
thanks

Good luck with that unless you are giving a bunch of $$$ with the deal.

Only way I would trade is if it was a fresh 727/904 with a good trans brake/steel front hub and appropriate 8" converter.

Good luck with that unless you are giving a bunch of $$$ with the deal.

Only way I would trade is if it was a fresh 727/904 with a good trans brake/steel front hub and appropriate 8" converter.

yea, what he said. Nobody on earth would trade a 4-speed for a auto

my tranny is a 727 in perfect working condition still in the car,i have been driving all summer,will even guarantee it.how,s that boys.

packages start at 3500.00 that,s nuts then there is shipping and labour,don,t wanna spend 5 to 6 grand

one big thing is you'll need a manual tranny hump. you can get them from nearly any company that makes parts for mopars. Year one?? other then that i guess you'll need the clutch/brake assembly. Then i guesws find a manual. are you thinking original 4 gear or like aftermarket overdrive type deal?? hope that helps. maybe i'm just telling you what you already know??

looking for an original 4 speed manual (omg) it can,t be that hard to find one can it?

packages start at 3500.00 that,s nuts then there is shipping and labour,don,t wanna spend 5 to 6 grand

true but that stuff is all rebuilt/new
if you piece it together then you still have to rebuild stuff.

and I don't think I saw carpet listed on the list but the hump takes it's own front carpet.

will tanny from 71 demon fit into my 73 duster?
thanks

thank you,,i have found a tranny for my car,,gotta get it from thunder bay to Toronto,,18 hour drive ,,another battle begins,,thanks to all for your help and support,,you,ve been great help

Frank Grossi

does your 340 have a cast crank if so it will need a flywheel for the cast crank for balance concerns

can anyone tell me if i will need the counter balance or neutral balance flywheel for my car and did the 73 duster 340 come with a cast crank?

Frank

-
Back