Automatic transmission on the floor

First year Challengers were made

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Randal Beek

Reaction score
I have a 74 Dodge Dart Swinger and I am wondering if they ever made a model with bucket seats and a automatic on the floor. If not is there something I could swap in from a Cuda or a Challenger. I have a 904 transmission right now, would I need to change that out. Thanks in advance.

I have seen 74 Darts with bucket seats and center console with automatic trans floor shifter.

Kinda rare to see a floor shift 73+ swinger but its not a problem to add it. Your floor pan will already have the dimples to locate the hole for the shift rod and boot. It should also have dimples to locate the console brackets.
You do not have to change the transmission. You do need to look at the tailshaft and make sure it has the two bosses coming off it. This is where your linkage bracket mounts to. Early cars did not have the ears and truck transmissions did not have them either as far as I know. At some point they started putting them on all of them....at least on the cars.
Dont forget, you will also have to change out the collars on the steering column. Tony D. sells the collars. www.tonysparts.com

Check out the custom east coast floor pans in the second pic.

DSC01899.JPG

DSC01906.JPG

I did a hurst floor shifter in mine. These are not the best photos but you can see it.

20201213_181450.jpg

20201213_181454.jpg

20201213_181954.jpg

you can gather all the pieces to do a stock floor shifter or get an after market one. the after market ones probably all use a cable instead of linkage. the factory ones are all (as far as i know), used with a center console to cover up the linkage. you can then remove the column shifter handle from the steering column by knocking out the roll pin.
HERE's a bunch of threads to go though, not all on target, but you can get an idea of what's out there.

good luck

-
Back