Average life of PT Cruiser timing belt ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Whats the average life for the timing belt/ water pump on a 2.4L PT cruiser ( this car has been driven VERY easy , 1 owner, don't ever remember flooring the throttle ever. It Has 85,600 miles now. I know that they are a PITA to replace.

Looks like 100,000+ as per Gates. 105,000 miles.

I've heard anything over 90,000 you should consider changing it. Also it's recommended that you change the water pump and tensioner at the same time. Also find someone who really knows how to to this job as it's been said that it's not an easy job to everything lined up correctly.

Whats the average life for the timing belt/ water pump on a 2.4L PT cruiser ( this car has been driven VERY easy , 1 owner, don't ever remember flooring the throttle ever. It Has 85,600 miles now. I know that they are a PITA to replace.

Think my daughters 2001 cruiser had just under 110,000 on it when it broke

Had a guy do it, changed water pump & tensioner

I told her she was coming up on time for another belt when it had 185,000

Best bet is to change at around 90,000 (think that is what manual states) better change it on your schedule, not whenever it decides to go

I would change it sooner then later... I have changed them less miles do to the age of the belt and when the belt comes out you can pull the teeth off with your fingers. I have saw belts that are 10-14 years old break with less then 50k due to rubber being old.

It not to bad of a job to do with the right tools, I have done a handful of them at the shop.. make sure you take the engine computer off near the driver side/brake master area... you have to lift the engine quite away to get the mount and bolts out and if you don't loosen the computer it will hit and break the plug on the computer. Also you need a decent 3 jaw puller to get the bottom balancer off

I march to a different drum. Rubber belts and hoses are replaced at 4 years or 60 thousand miles. Just slight water and/or oil leaks will shorten the life of a belt exponentially.
My practice is expensive. The 96 Camry gets 2 idlers, water pump, and oil pump, along with the timing belt. It has like 238 thousand miles on it too.

I would hate to open mine up. It's a 02 with just over 20'000 on it. It still has the original washer fluid in it. Lol

Thanks Guys, I am going to replace the water pump. Good to know about the computer plug. Does the AC line have O rings or gaskets ?. I will be doing this near the end of October.

What does the owner's manual say? I know Toyota recommends them changed with their 60K service.

I've heard anything over 90,000 you should consider changing it. Also it's recommended that you change the water pump and tensioner at the same time. Also find someone who really knows how to to this job as it's been said that it's not an easy job to everything lined up correctly.

I believe book spec is 104,000 but I've known a few owners that lost theirs at just over 100,000. I did ours at 96,000 to be safe.

It's an interference motor, so you're gambling a $750 job turning into a multi-thousand dollar job if it lets go.

Water pump an tensioner basically just add parts cost to the job.

Just got the job done on the wife's '06 PT Turbo ragtop. Here is what all was replaced, since I don't like doing things twice, and these things have to be removed or loosened, anyway:

Belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, upper and lower rad hoses.

Also did a complete tune-up, meaning plugs, wires, and associated parts. All this was done at 85,500 miles. Shortly thereafter, the turbo went out. I had the turbo rebuilt locally and reinstalled, along with new oil lines and turbo-related parts. What would've cost over $3,500 at the Chrysler stealership, cost me $800 and a case of beer to a friend to do the job. I hate wrenching on new cars and trucks. I'll pay to let someone else deal with the a$$pain.

they should be changed around 80k, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. These are not interference engines so if it does break it will not damage your engine. When you do replace it Goodyear is making some neat timing belt kits that come with everything you'll need (except the cam and crank seals which I would replace also even if they are not leaking). Timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. If you go with a different brand other than good year I would recommend going OEM with the pump. I've had good luck with the good year pumps, but the other aftermarket brands I have used tend to go out pretty quick. Also, if you replace the belt pay close attention to your camshaft marks. They will appear a tooth off, but actually be correct. 13 year auto tech /

I believe book spec is 104,000 but I've known a few owners that lost theirs at just over 100,000. I did ours at 96,000 to be safe.

It's an interference motor, so you're gambling a $750 job turning into a multi-thousand dollar job if it lets go.

Water pump an tensioner basically just add parts cost to the job.

the 2.4 liter engine is not interference

the 2.4 liter engine is not interference

Sorry, but it is an interference engine. My bad. I have never seen one pop an engine (bend the valves) after a timing belt failure. I've asked around some of my tech services and get conflicting info whether it is or isn't interference so I would assume it is.

-
Back