average price to rebuild trans?

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
Well car is in paint so I need to get drive train rolling. I have a stock 727 and I am building a 440 with around 500-550 hp. I know the trans will need some good clutches and other odds and ends. I want to add a shift kit to. What i am debating on will it cost more to rebuild and bring it up to hold my engine or should I just buy a TCI trans that can hold 600hp? Of course any other options of new trans I am open to

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-111005/

I would go to some of your local transmission shops and see what they will charge you. Ask around to see if anyone can recommend a rebuilder in your area who specializes in Mopars. I've recently seen some horror stories on this site about TCI transmissions, so I would stay away from them. There are other builders out there, and I'm sure someone will offer these other builders names.

Save the TCI transmissions for your enemies. Those things are crap.

Depending on the familiarity of your builder, the cost will run anywhere from $500-$1500.

I'd do it myself. They're pretty easy once you pull one apart. You can get any of the parts you need through A&A Transmissions, SMR, even Bulkpart.com has good deals on Red clutches and billet servos and stuff.
I'm doing a 904 build right now that's gonna go to a guy in California. Alto red clutches, Kolene steels, Transgo TF2 kit, new front drum from A&A, billet sonnex rear servo, kevlar front/kickdown band....bolt in sprag possibly...still waiting on his decision.lol But he's only spent around $300-400 in parts.
Gonna go behind a 360 around 450hp in a 72 Dart, it'll hold up just fine.
But like I said, they're easy once you've been in one once.

Out here in SoCal I was quoted $2000 to rebuild my small block 727 Torqueflite. This was from a long time family run transmission shop with an excellent reputation and that has experience with all types of trannys.

I haven't done it yet but I had two shops give me price for my 904
one 1400 on bench 1700 in car

other

700 on bench

The 700 price was recommended to me from a seasoned engine builder...I'll be going with what the engine builder recommend. LOL

Aloha Mike

ok thinking about going the video way can anyone give me a detailed list of what I will need?

Out here in SoCal I was quoted $2000 to rebuild my small block 727 Torqueflite. This was from a long time family run transmission shop with an excellent reputation and that has experience with all types of trannys.

Holy crap that scares me i'd better start saving up!!! If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with that shops info, it'd be much appreciated i don't mind paying top dollar for top quality work.....thanks DFX! -Dan (near knott's berry farm)

ok thinking about going the video way can anyone give me a detailed list of what I will need?

Aside from the wearable items like clutches, steels, seals, bands, and ect; you won't really know until you open it up. I've done a trans with almost 200K and it everything still looked good, and some with less than 10K that looked like a grenade went off in them. If you want a shift kit the TF2 is good, I also like Fairbanks.

Any special tools needed (normally)? Reason I ask is because say I order the video, buy the parts, and do it myself... if I'd also need $800 in special tools, obviously not worth it for 1 or 2 transmissions. I suspect that isn't the case, but better to ask!

EDIT: Ah, I see one thing is a Universal Spring Compressor Tool, that isn't cheap. Is this correct? Anything else?

Any special tools needed (normally)? Reason I ask is because say I order the video, buy the parts, and do it myself... if I'd also need $800 in special tools, obviously not worth it for 1 or 2 transmissions. I suspect that isn't the case, but better to ask!

Slide hammer and a couple feet of chain to remove the front pump, 2 beefy C-clamps to compress the pressure plate on the clutch retainer, and some snap ring pliers. Good snap ring pliers. Disassemble it in order. It also helps to make a stand, I prefer to do them vertical, makes life easier. Just something to bolt the trans to an engine stand. Instead of a video, I'd shoot for an overhaul manual.

These people are smoking rope. The guy that rebuilt mine prefers to do GM 4L60s/700R4s, actually did the trans in my caprice as well last august, but he only did my 727 for $700. These should not cost more than 1000 to be properly rebuilt to stock specs or more, since these were the trans put behind hemis. Mine's gone 3000 miles without breaking, which is a plus.

OK, that sounds like not a big deal. So, a "Universal Automatic Transmission Spring Compressor Tool" isn't necessary? Cheapest I see one for is about $75.

I think I'd opt for both the video and a manual/book. I'm very visual, so I think a video would help me through it. The Arron Johnson engine videos have been a tremendous help to me.

OK, that sounds like not a big deal. So, a "Universal Automatic Transmission Spring Compressor Tool" isn't necessary? Cheapest I see one for is about $75.

I think I'd opt for both the video and a manual/book. I'm very visual, so I think a video would help me through it. The Arron Johnson engine videos have been a tremendous help to me.

2 big c-clamps will replace the spring compressor. You will also need a bushing driver to replace the bushings. The Torqueflight hand book from Carl Munroe is a good book, has other little tips in it to help you along

if you watch the video ...it will show you how to get the pump without a slide hammer...

the video is the best..

I built mine myself and my build is really close to yours:

Rebuild kit with kolene steels and red clutches with seals and gaskets $119
Bolt in sprag from TCI though summit $75 (Summit Racing)
TF-2 shift kit $65 (Summit Racing)
Selective Thrust washers $25
Bands I bought kevlar front band the rear was included in the kit. $30

Tools needed:
Snap ring pliars
Assorted socket set
Screw drivers
Dead blow hammer
torque wrench
Feeler gauge

I would say 3-400 should get you what you need for parts. Also 70aarcuda is right. I used that same video it was cake. I also did a TECH write up in the Tech section on the bolt in sprag. The shift kit is just follow the insturctions.

-
Back