Awh man! I let all the smoke out of the wires!

-

Noizemaker

Reaction score
Whooops. Ya get used to working on new metric, plastic cars... and you forget that maybe, just maybe you should disconnect the battery before you deal with the ignition switch. :)

Went to pull the gauges to see why the light for my speedo wasn't working. Apparently there's no shroud around the ignition switch, sparks, fire and all the smoke fell out of the wires. Eeeek!

I melted the insulation off the red starter wire from the firewall down into the side of the engine bay. It never scorched the brown wire, but the insulation on the red wire left in a hurry! Checked the cockpit side of the wires, and all was well, but it was a mess on the engine bay side. :)

To get me to work tomorrow, I electrical taped all of the wire I could reach after removing all the wires around it and checking for damage. Everything else was fine. Electrical tape, and then wire loom to isolate it just in case... should be good short term.

So this leaves me two questions.
1: Does anyone make an aftermarket starter harness? I can make something, but i like the OE quality molded terminals and would like to keep those.
2: In the interim i'd like to wrap farther down towards the starter. In the pic below there's a rubber piece wrapped around the wiring over the fenderwell. What's its purpose, can I cut it so I can get below it since the wiring burned off in there too? See that gold wire? that's not lamp cord, that's uninsulated 6 gauge wire. Whoops!

IMAG0668.jpg

Check with Mancini,s Racing,they carry only Mopar stuff.They should have the battery/starter cable you speak of.Good Luck.

Used to be a guy in Hutchinson, Kansas reproducing these and selling them on ebay. Very nice product for the price.

-
Back