Axle studs-stock length or 3"

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
What is the main reason for the 3" long studs? I need to order new axles for my 8.75 and would like to know which ones to order. Why would you order 3" studs? I'm sure I am missing something, but I want to make sure. Thanks.

Graeme:burnout:

3 inch studs are for racing. NHRA requires 1/2" sticking out past lug nut face and if you are running thick hub wheels, 3 inch may be needed.

The 3" studs are usually for racing.

But, most modern style aluminum rims have a much thicker cross section at the hub than even older aluminum rims, so stock length lugs sometimes come up short, even if you're just taking about a driver. Some folks also run spacers to adjust the fit of aftermarket rims, so if you're doing that you may need some more length as well.

If you're just running stock steelies, there's really no need for them, and they'll stick way out and look funny.

What is the main reason for the 3" long studs? I need to order new axles for my 8.75 and would like to know which ones to order. Why would you order 3" studs? I'm sure I am missing something, but I want to make sure. Thanks.

Graeme:burnout:

If you intend to race it someday, go with the 3". I have them on mine right now and they do look a little funny with the stock Rallyes, but Oh well.

Rules are; full nut, 2 threads showing is good. The extra length has no strength, just adds more weight. And rust.

The
thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolts to
wheel hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of
the stud/bolt. Length of the stud/bolt does not determine
permissibility. (Example: A 7/16-inch stud must be thoroughly
engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a
minimum of 7/16-inch.)

as per NHRA 2012 rule book...

-
Back