B3 Kit - Shaft Modification / Possible SM rocker issue.

-

TurboGLH

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got my black friday shipment of the finest chinesium from SM. Before I started getting too deep I got my measurements out to Mike at B3 for a correction kit. The changes will require a .100 offset in my rocker shafts, so I started cleaning and inspecting the rockers.

The shafts only have a single hole at 6 o'clock. No banana grooves, no second hole for pushrod oiling. Now, my current lifters and the arms support oiling through the pushrod, so that's only possible issue down, but the lack of banana grooves is concerning.

So, I'm looking to bounce all this info off a few other people. Thoughts on if I should modify the SM shafts, or pick up a set with grooves/both holes.

So you are going to oil the rocker shafts through the lifters? If so, it will oil through the adjuster if we are talking about the SM/PRW stainless rockers with the cup adjuster.

Why not just oil it through the block like normal? I've never understood PR oiling unless you are netting .800 lift or more and have spring pressures over 320 on the seat, and then you don't really need to PR oil.

you dont need to modify the shaft for oiling...the stainless steel rockers use two bushing with an open are between them for oil....
drove my 73 duster with those rockers on for two years with no mods....but it is your money....

you dont need to modify the shaft for oiling...the stainless steel rockers use two bushing with an open are between them for oil....
drove my 73 duster with those rockers on for two years with no mods....but it is your money....

I wasn't sure that was the question. If it is, then I agree.

So you are going to oil the rocker shafts through the lifters? If so, it will oil through the adjuster if we are talking about the SM/PRW stainless rockers with the cup adjuster.

Why not just oil it through the block like normal? I've never understood PR oiling unless you are netting .800 lift or more and have spring pressures over 320 on the seat, and then you don't really need to PR oil.

I probably could have been more clear, my big concern was poor oiling to the bottom of the rockers due to no groove in the shaft. The rockers that came off the car were a set of 273 adjustables on a set of later shafts (not my doing, installed when I bought it), and both the rockers and shafts had heavy scoring at 6 o'clock.

Based on the reply below, seems like experience with these rockers says it won't be an issues, but before I modified the shafts I wanted to get some feedback.

maybe it was not....but...that is my 2 cents...I used them...had no problems out of the box...
ran them up and down the drag strip too....but more i read on this forum the more I realize I dont know ****...so I am happy....lol

get a dremel and make your own banana grooves? I have later shafts with no grooves but it does have an oiler hole. Suppose I could dig a few ditches on those. Now why are the angles like that?
upload_2019-12-10_19-33-52.jpeg
rockershaft-bananagroove.jpg

I probably could have been more clear, my big concern was poor oiling to the bottom of the rockers due to no groove in the shaft. The rockers that came off the car were a set of 273 adjustables on a set of later shafts (not my doing, installed when I bought it), and both the rockers and shafts had heavy scoring at 6 o'clock.

Based on the reply below, seems like experience with these rockers says it won't be an issues, but before I modified the shafts I wanted to get some feedback.

You're golden then. No need for grooves or anything else. As long as the adjuster is down the correct amount it will oil the pushrods very well and the bushings will be fine without a groove.

The big thing with the rockers like that is keeping oil flow and pressure UP at idle to keep the bushings off the shaft.

If you think about it, the rocker has enough vertical oil clearance that when the valve is on the seat that oil will get out to the bushings IF the flow is there and the pressure is high enough.

That's one reason I always use a HV pump with stuff like that. The volume of oil is higher at lower engine speeds to keep rockers off the shafts.

What do the bushings look like? Is there a space in the middle?

You've got the right idea, it's actually two bushings pushes in from either side with a space for oil in the middle.

-
Back