B5 Blue, whats correct?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I tried searching for B5 Blue on google and there are at least 3 different shades that come up? What is the actual color of B5 Blue?

I tried searching for B5 Blue on google and there are at least 3 different shades that come up? What is the actual color of B5 Blue?

Pictures on the internet won't tell the whole story with B5 blue. It has a pretty decent amount of metallic flake in it, so the appearance of the paint can vary quite a bit depending on the light.

My challenger is B5 blue, and I think it's a decent representation. But I won't go as far as to say it's concourse correct...

72bluNblu.jpg

dont matter cuz when u go to the paint shop they will use the B5 blue code from chrysler and get you the correct shades and hues

69, 70 are brighter,then became darker in 71 and later I believe. Also the base primer will make the color look different, as well as the air pressure used to spray it.

Here's a good example. The picture does it justice too. Atleast I think so. Nice looking Challenger 72bluNblu:thumbrig:

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2,331

It depends on the year. Although the B5 CODE was used for several years, the FORMULA changed a few times. You would need to compare color chips to pick out the shade you wanted unless you were wanting the correct color for a certain year, then use the formula for that year. My '05 Pt Cruiser is even coded B5, although it is brighter than the older B5 colors.
Dallas

I used the 1970 B5 on mine. With all of the pearl in it, it really looks good in the sun.

It depends on the year. Although the B5 CODE was used for several years, the FORMULA changed a few times. You would need to compare color chips to pick out the shade you wanted unless you were wanting the correct color for a certain year, then use the formula for that year. My '05 Pt Cruiser is even coded B5, although it is brighter than the older B5 colors.
Dallas
A friend painted his Plymouth Coupe B5. It is a different shade than 72blunblu's
Cuda. They're all correct depending on the year and what you like.

Attachments

• 100_5263.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,044
EB5 = 1969 . Was used from 1969 - 1970
GB5 = 1971 . Was used from 1971 - 1973
KB5 = 1974 . Was used from 1974 - 1975
MB5 = 1976 . Was used from 1976 - ????

As previously mentioned , each series had its own shading changes :
"E" ( 1969 ) was a bright , almost silvery shade
"G" ( 1971 ) was a bit darker than its '69-'70 shade
"K" ( 1974 ) was closer to the B7 shade from '69
"M" ( 1976 ) was closer to its 1971 shade

The name(s) of -B5 changed each time , and was , as usual , subject to division ( e.g. , Dodge's name was different from Plymouth's name ) .

This reformulation was also done with B3 and B7 blue(s) .

I just got 6 qts of PPG in DBC B5 last week for my 69 Barracuda and it cost me $780.00. Thats just the basecoat no reducer no clearcoat ect... No room for errors guys this stuff is to expensive to play with.

PPG 2019 over gray sealer

Attachments

• road runner 1011 (Medium).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2,625
This is my B-5 Blue Duster. Tends to be a different shade by paint manufacturer.

Attachments

• SDC12041 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 2,480

The name(s) of -B5 changed each time , and was , as usual , subject to division ( e.g. , Dodge's name was different from Plymouth's name ) .

That's correct. Each time the prefix (E, G, K, M,) changed, so did the formula.

And, as scuba0331 mentioned, the color tends to vary by manufacturer. Part of this is due to the mixing tints being changed somewhat over the years. Many of the old tints are no longer available.

Here's a pic of my Pt in 2005 model B5. I don't remember the prefix right now. Unfortunately this pic was taken in the shade, the color has a lot of pearl in it and really pops in the sun.
BTW, the old Plymouth coupe looks really nice in B5.
Dallas

Attachments

• IMG_5762 (Small).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,772

I didn't realize there were so many different shades of B5. I thought there was just one B5.

I am not painter by far but My Good buddy is and at his shop the paint store gave him a "variant deck" which is a book of color samples for Each make model and year. some of those models may have as many as 5 or 6 variants during a single year some darker lighter more or less Flake course or fine is the term he used it is a real art to match or make paint a certain Color

I am not painter by far but My Good buddy is and at his shop the paint store gave him a "variant deck" which is a book of color samples for Each make model and year. some of those models may have as many as 5 or 6 variants during a single year some darker lighter more or less Flake course or fine is the term he used it is a real art to match or make paint a certain Color

Matching B5 is nearly impossible. Even if you get the correct variant, the amount of flake makes a huge difference in how the paint looks. And, even if you get the amount of flake right, the air pressure in the gun used to spray it can effect how much flake is actually visible, which can change how the paint looks by quite a bit, especially in the sun.

And of course, as mentioned, there were quite a few variations. But with the metallic flake, even the same variation, out of the same can, will look different depending on the air pressure and temperature. Pretty much true of all metallic paints.

Bottom line is there is a lot of variation in the B5 color, even within the different formulas. Pick the one you like best, or the one that is "correct" for your car. But there's no guarantee it will look exactly like another B5 car, even if its the same formula.

And thanks DarTT! Although I have to say it looks a lot better at 20 ft. It's probably a Maaco or similar paint job, and at the moment the clear coat is peeling off of it. So I'll be having to find a shade of B5 I like pretty soon as well...

tell me about it, a pint of FJ5 sublime cost me almsot 75 bucks single stage blah blah blah! not cool huh?

I just got 6 qts of PPG in DBC B5 last week for my 69 Barracuda and it cost me $780.00. Thats just the basecoat no reducer no clearcoat ect... No room for errors guys this stuff is to expensive to play with.

My Old 72 Demon B5 color,painted base/clear

Attachments

• 72demon340.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,321
There is no absolute correct answer...

We had two cars, both from the same factory, 70 B5 blue, original paint and the shades were different. One car was built in August, the other was in May. It was fun to listen to one self professed know it all say that one of the cars was definitely repainted.

-
Back