B5 BLUE

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Im sure this has been talked about before. The different shades of B5 blue. The paint code B5 didnt start until 1969. For 69, 70 it was called BLUE FIRE. For 71, 72 & 73 it was called TRUE BLUE. In the pictures the 71 demon is B5 & the 73 duster is also B5. Did the shade of B5 blue change that much in a few years ? I have original paint chip books & you cant tell by them. I can tell you that the blue is different between Martin Senor & PPG. I can also tell ya if you go to a paint store & 1 guy mixes it & then a different guy mixes it it could be a different shade. Not sure how that happens but it does. It also depends on how many coats you put on, The more coats the lighter it gets. With in reason. I just got B5 for the 71 demon im working on & the color is way to dark & has a purple haze to it. Im hoping i can take it back & they can lighten it up. The other demon picture is the demon im working on now & the shade of blue is in between the 73 duster & the other 71 demon.

DEMON W BASE CLEAR  STRIPES 001.JPG

JACKS DUSTER  BASE CLEAR 010.JPG

DALTON ROLES DEMON STRIPES 010.JPG

WTF? Brother, I Started Framing and Doing Concrete in '88, got into Mopars in '89...Ran into Drywall and Paint in the 90s, Barbara (the Gal) is a 3rd Generation Painting Expert. No, We Didn't paint metal all our lives, but Window Frames, Doors, panels, columns, etc, Her and I spray... However we Ain't Auto Body techs.... all we have ever shot got Darker.... all I can say bout the color matching? Don't they have paint codes? And EVEN IF THEY DO, I've had Issues with it Myself. To the Point of, We try to get a little extra, and usually always hit the same place. I'm pretty sure you know all this... Can you get a Lil Extra every time, before You desperately need it? Sometimes, we have to cut a Job Tight, cause the Coustomer, (usually Flippers are like that) is TIGHT!
Brother Wayne, ALL, BS aside,
Whoooo! BABY! Man,YOU do Killer Work!
Looks Awesome

Last edited:
Me again! Ok so I just went through this.

I specifically asked for 1971 PPG B5 blue and the pictures posted are of what it looks like. I'm fine with how it turned out because I was on the fence to go original color B5 or the lighter B3 color that year. I almost think it's somewhere in between?

What I failed to ask for was GB5 blue that was on the fender tag. Not sure if that is the difference in shade or not?

This car was in grey primer so not sure if that has anything to do with it being a bit lighter? Not sure what color the original primer was or if that would make a difference?

I was shown the color sample at that time and it looked to be correct.

I'm probably not helping but just adding to the confusion. Ha!

Carl

20210808_120508.jpg

20210108_165531.jpg

144440(1).jpeg

Honestly the color difference will never be noticed by anyone but you. The odds of you parking your 71’ Demon with B5 paint next to another 71’ Demon with B5 paint is slim till none unless your at a large Mopar show. I’ve got a 72’ Demon B5 with a respray. Maybe a Maaco special - not sure as o bought it that way. The original factory paint was single stage and a different shade than the respray also a single stage. It looks like yours is a base coat clear coat. Something g these cars never got. They were sprayed in Laqure also and we are using enamel- eurothane enamel I believe it is technically called.
Also the spray pattern of the gun and how the metallic lays and flows out will change the color.
So many factors including humidity (which can lighten and whiten the color when drying) primer sealer final color. All effect the final color. Be thankful you have a Demon and not a Chevelle as I can go to local shows and see 3 or 4 71’ blue chevelles in a row and they all look different. Lol!
SN paint looks really nice on your car regardless of the shade.

Looks like the Light Blue Poly. Looks great! Maybe GB% has something to do with it. I always liked PPG because of their color matching. JMO

B5 did change some from year to year, it got darker as time went on. My car is B5...although it's 1990 B5.

20220818_165303.jpg

Yeah it is the base/clear and matched the card fine, so I'm totally happy with it. I did hear like you mentioned that the difference is from being a base/clear product and the spray pattern. I was mainly posting to show the differences in the shades and what I encountered.

Yeah it is the base/clear and matched the card fine, so I'm totally happy with it. I did hear like you mentioned that the difference is from being a base/clear product and the spray pattern. I was mainly posting to show the differences in the shades and what I encountered.
That’s good to hear as I was getting a “buyer regret vibe.” Just a little and sometimes we as owners of these rides over think vs recognizing how awesome we are bringing back a piece of history and it is our history and not what others think.

Again- beautiful car.

Here You see a B5 blue Challenger behind a GB2 (therewas no B3 in 71) Duster...

The Dart is B5 from 1969...the '71 300 is B7

The Duster has three different shades of blue on the pictures on the same day...only depending on light....

TNYX6938.JPG

GICO1161.JPG

NANO1536.JPG

CEDK2089.JPG

B5, all different between the years and manufacturers. The new mixes have pearl added and will flip flop in different light and angles. Drives me crazy!

001.jpg

4-12-18 115.jpg

052.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, they still make B5 blue,(edit: they still use the code B5) or at least they did a couple years ago. When I bought my 71 demon the previous owner painted the engine compartment in like a 2018 or so B5 and it WAS 38-1/2 shades off of the 71 B5!

That said, air pressure at the cap, distance of the gun from the surface, speed of the gun moved across the surface, angle of the nozzle to the surface, will all affect the final color. It has to do with the metallic laydown. If the particles lay flat, they reflect light like a mirror and the color will be lighter. If you lay them down and they are on their sides, it will be darker. This can be seen as flip flop between panels or even stripes. It is most notable under street lights (i think the orange hued mercury vapor lights are the worse for this but I may be wrong). Color blending on a panel can be tricky and often comes down to technique but you would be surprised of the different color hues you can get with technique.

Last edited:
Ill have to take a picture of the blue i sprayed on it We will see that its way to dark.

This is the B5 blue i got. The pictures make it look lighter than what it is. Took it back today along with a piece of the car that has the correct color. They said they will make it right. It better not cost me any thing or im going to blow a gasket.

DARK B5 BLUE 001.JPG

DARK B5 BLUE 002.JPG

DARK B5 BLUE 004.JPG

Looks like it has alot of silver in it. It is a nice color. They sometimes over silver the C7 Plum crazy also. It depends on who is mixing it I suppose. But it should be all computer or machine mixed.

'69 B5 under the fender tag, trunk seal and windshield gasket that never saw the light of day until 2016.
beerestoration2015 002.JPG

beerestoration2015 503.JPG

beerestoration2015 632.JPG

As noted above there is two different B5 blues. EB5 introduced in 69,used 69 & 70. GB5, introduced in 1971. Also was different B3 blues, the earlier one being a lighter version of B5, and TB3 introduced in 72 (often referred to as Petty Blue incorrectly) which was bright and non-metallic.

Both of mine are 71s light one is b2 dark one b5. Yours looks like they gave you b2. And i painted both of them. I actually prefer b2

20190624_172010.jpg

20170808_101007.jpg

None of the toners we have now are the same as they were 50 years ago. The quality control back then would be so bad that you could see a difference in any car painted at a different day or time. They don't have any better quality control these days. Most colors have on average 5-20 variants.

Ppg has older codes that they can still mix in Dbc and some in their Omni line. My 71 Demon was originally B5. Last winter I did spray out cards of all the B5 blues Ppg had to offer and they weren't even close to what my car was. I then contacted Akzo Nobels color library team for a mix and while it is much better than PPgs it still doesn't match. I also have done several camera shots of it and can get a formula fairly close but they will never be perfect.

Every paint manufacturer is different, has different variants, painters will use a different pressure... water vs. Solvent... you will find far less color shift in water than solvent with pressure changes.

Find a blue that is close that you like and use it.

The darker blue is Viper Gts blue.

Screenshot_20221109-183233_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221109-182943_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221109-183013_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221109-183003_Photos.jpg

-
Back