Back after a couple of decades

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
Figured I’d go ahead and make an intro thread. Back in the mid 90s I was a young teen and a close friend’s older brother had (and still has) a 67 Dart GT. It was originally a 273 4 barrel 4spd car that he gotten form his dad. I being 13-14 years old not knowing a ton about cars thought it was the coolest thing around. It was loud, it had a 4spd, and it made muscle car noises. By that time it had a 318, headers, 4 barrel, and a racer brown cam in it. I had to have a Dart like it. When I was 14 and soon to get my license, I found a 68 Dart 2dr HT 270 in the thrifty nickel. “One owner, original miles” for $2800. So I talked my dad in going to look at it.

It was white with a green vinyl top, bench seat, factory air car, 318/904/7.25. almost the polar opposite of my friends 67 GT. It was quiet, slow, and didn’t make muscle car noises. We took it home though because it was rust free pretty much and ran really well. My dad and I slowly started bringing it back to the car it should have been. My dad wasn’t much of a hot rodder so my suggestions fell on deaf ears lol. When we sold it, it had a warmed over 360 and a 8.25 out of a dart sport.

Well life happens and I had to sell it in my early 20s to my dismay. Sold it on eBay for 4500 bucks after it had the newer engine, new paint job, and various other updates. They just weren’t as appreciated then in comparison to now.

Fast forward to more recently, I always kept an eye out on eBay to see what they were going for price wise for a clean running and driving 67-69 2 dr hardtop. Occasionally I would look on Facebook marketplace if there was even any remotely close to me. About a week ago one popped up and it was within a reasonable driving distance. It wasn’t the small block 4 spd I always wanted but I couldn’t be super picky.

I’m picking it up next week and I’m super excited about it..

IMG_9338.jpeg
IMG_9332.jpeg
IMG_9337.jpeg
IMG_9330.jpeg

Plan is to do all of the things I wish I could have done back then. It’s another 318/904/7.25 combo. I plan to find a 8 3/4 for it, A833 swap it, and maybe pep up the 318 a little bit. Seems like a tall order to fill but, it’s what I always wanted so… bring on the misery lol. Anyhow I’ve blabbed on too much as it is.

Here’s a photo of my first car.. it was a far fry from where it started with the white walls, hub caps, and white paint with a green top..

IMG_0072.jpeg

Last edited:
Figured I’d go ahead and make an into thread. Back in the mid 90s I was a young teen and a close friend’s older brother had (and still has) a 67 Dart GT. It was originally a 273 4 barrel 4spd car that he gotten form his dad. I being 13-14 years old not knowing a ton about cars thought it was the coolest thing around. It was loud, it had a 4spd, and it made muscle car noises. By that time it had a 318, headers, 4 barrel, and a racer brown cam in it. I had to have a Dart like it. When I was 14 and soon to get my license, I found a 68 Dart 2dr HT 270 in the thrifty nickel. “One owner, original miles” for $2800. So I talked my dad in going to look at it.

It was white with a green vinyl top, bench seat, factory air car, 318/904/7.25. almost the polar opposite of my friends 67 GT. It was quiet, slow, and didn’t make muscle car noises. We took it home though because it was rust free pretty much and ran really well. My dad and I slowly started bringing it back to the car it should have been. My dad wasn’t much of a hot rodder so my suggestions fell on deaf ears lol. When we sold it, it had a warmed over 360 and a 8.25 out of a dart sport.

Well life happens and I had to sell it in my early 20s to my dismay. Sold it on eBay for 4500 bucks after it had the newer engine, new paint job, and various other updates. They just weren’t as appreciated then in comparison to now.

Fast forward to more recently, I always kept an eye out on eBay to see what they were going for price wise for a clean running and driving 67-69 2 dr hardtop. Occasionally I would look on Facebook marketplace if there was even any remotely close to me. About a week ago one popped up and it was within a reasonable driving distance. It wasn’t the small block 4 spd I always wanted but I couldn’t be super picky.

I’m picking it up next week and I’m super excited about it..

View attachment 1716248712View attachment 1716248713View attachment 1716248714View attachment 1716248715

Plan is to do all of the things I wish I could have done back then. It’s another 318/904/7.25 combo. I plan to find a 8 3/4 for it, A833 swap it, and maybe pep up the 318 a little bit. Seems like a tall order to fill but, it’s what I always wanted so… bring on the misery lol. Anyhow I’ve blabbed on too much as it is.

Here’s a photo of my first car.. it was a far fry from where it started with the white walls, hub caps, and white paint with a green top..

View attachment 1716248716
Welcome back Kotter!
IMG_4630.gif
IMG_4629.gif
IMG_4625.gif
IMG_4626.gif
IMG_4617.gif
IMG_4619.gif
IMG_4599.gif

Welcome back to the site, that looks like a great project car!
And I like that you are going to build it your way...

Beautiful ride. Looks like you can keep it drivable while you upgrade, always a plus.

This was a factory bucket seat car but somewhere down the line it was swapped to a bench. Original bucket seats for these things are tough come by locally.. may have to retrofit something newer in it possibly..

If you are not concerned about originality and you have some fab skills the sky's the limit. So many better choices with head support and better fits!

You could start a parts wanted request on this sight or a thread asking who has done what for updated buckets!

If you are not concerned about originality and you have some fab skills the sky's the limit. So many better choices with head support and better fits!
It may make some cringe but I do not and will not care about originality with this car.. if it was a factory big block GTS then I would go OE but.. 318/904 with a rearend made of glass.. it’ll be how I want it. Paint isn’t perfect but plenty good to rock at the local cruse nites..

:welcome: from :canada:

Very good looking car to start with, that's a major plus! Build it your way, it's your car, and as you said, you aren't starting with an original big block GTS. Have fun with it and keep us posted.

I go tomorrow to check it out in person and make the deal. Due to logistics, I’ll have to park it at my brothers place for a few days till the weekend comes. I have a buddy wanting to make the road trip with me to pick it up Saturday.. that waiting for Christmas morning feeling will take over the week..

Brought it home finally yesterday. Got up this morning and took the cheesy chrome trim on a roll off the side. It left a ghost behind but I’m sure some compound would clean it up further .. also reattached the rear trim behind the driver rear .. and took the hitch off the back lol. In the words of Johnny Cash “I’ll get it one piece at a time”

I’m gonna get some new tires for these stock steels and caps.. I’m not fond of white walls and only a couple of companies that I’ve found make a white letter anymore

A 205/70 should work ? I may have to go with black walls. I’d like a little more width than OE.. suggestions ?

IMG_9436.jpeg
IMG_9435.jpeg

Every car has its own personality and you get to blend yours. Those look like 14" wheels.

I decided to rock the stock 14 inch caps for now. I ordered some 215/70/14s for these wheels. Should perk it up a little more in the looks department. I wanna put some 15s but will wait a lil while

-
Back