Backup lights for my 65 Dart?

-

SFGlam

Reaction score
hi there - here's a weird one:

I recently acquired a new-to-me 65 Dart, to replace my other 65 Dart that was stolen last year (that I had for 21 years). my OLD one was a 4-Door, 225, /6....the NEW one is a 2-door, I *think* 170, /6.

The other day, I was backing into my parking space and was looking in the rear view mirror and noticed that I didn't see any backup lights reflected on the wall. My old Dart had backup lights. the next day, I opened the trunk and was looking at the tail light situation and there is a hole on both sides - where I am quite positive I had a light plugged into on my old one. I thought this was super strange, so I texted the guy I bought the new Dart from and he said he never even thought about backup lights or noticed if he did or didn't have them!!!

So my question is: SHOULD there be backup lights, can I ADD backup lights somehow, etc? Are they not installed because this is a more basic model? I also am realizing that my old Dart had the little D and backwards D in clear/white (for the backup lights) and with my new Dart all of the lenses are red.

it's not a huge deal, but I'm trying to fix all these weird little quirks that I'm encountering (and trying to get this Dart closer to how mine was).

Thank you for clearing this up for me!

(photo attached)

20231018_171830.jpg

Back up lights were a option on the simple models like the 170 models. You probably don't have them.

So far as I know, the problem is the SWITCH. Unless your car has a later engine/ trans, the backup switch is NOT on the transmission, unless it's a stick. Automatics were built into the side of the column, and not readily available.

But you COULD look around and find a mechanical switch, and "rig" one on the linkage. Wiring is likely already in the harness.

So far as I know, the problem is the SWITCH. Unless your car has a later engine/ trans, the backup switch is NOT on the transmission, unless it's a stick. Automatics were built into the side of the column, and not readily available.

But you COULD look around and find a mechanical switch, and "rig" one on the linkage. Wiring is likely already in the harness.
ah ok. thank you.

He doesn't have the back up light option

-
Back