Bad accident at work....again

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
There was an accident at work tonight it was bad. A guy got his hand crushed in between two giant chrome rollers he will probably loose his hand. To make it worse this is the 4th time in 8 weeks this has happened. This is potentially the 4th amputee in 2 months. This is bad. I'm really worried when I left this morning they were people talking about osha shutting the doors and all kinds of stuff. I really hate it for the 4 guys that lost their hands I really do but I can't imagine 375 people loosing their jobs. When was was in the punch out line the site manager came thru and he asked us is it true about the guy and his hand? We were like yes. And the look on his face was absolutely terrifying. This might get bad!

Red flag in a big way for the company.
To me it's a red flag for today's work force. This plant has been around since 1992 and before last month it had only happened 4 times ever. Now it's happened 4 times in 2 months. I'm not gonna say no more than that but we have very good policy and procedures and there not getting followed.

4th accident in 8 weeks ..?? I'm guessing some safety problem there.. no safety guards on the roller machine ?

I know you don't want to lose your job, but someone loosing their life would be worse.

There are serious safety issues there, wow. All the best, keep your hands in your pockets!
Mgmt and JHSC need a sitdown!
How old were the injured?

4th accident in 8 weeks ..?? I'm guessing some safety problem there.. no safety guards on the roller machine ?

I know you don't want to lose your job, but losing your life would be worse.
There are procedures and they are not being used properly.
I have worked for this place for 15 years and I have never seen anything like it is now. The workforce is pathetic the people they are hiring are not fit to do this type of work. It's a high alert on your toes physical labor type job and they are hiring people thru a temp agency that can't stay awake! If you catch my drift.

There are serious safety issues there, wow. All the best, keep your hands in your pockets!
The guy today was is 50. The others were early to late 40s

If you stay alert and aware of your surroundings and follow the rules it's not that dangerous. With any machine it has pinch points but we have rules and safety equipment. Like I said iv been there for 15 and knock on wood havent had nothing worse than a splinter. The problem is people taking short cuts and not been alert.

Funny how lots of comments in general made towards millennials lol. Not the case here. 1 handed wonders now....
3 of 4 had a total of about 6 months experience.
I call that lack of training!
The 1 was a freaking supervisor!! Smmfh!

ive worked most of my adult life in manufacturing, brake presses, roll formers, shears, the same principle applies, respect the machine, and you will be fine

just curious, was it a roll former?

When an accident occurs, safety team does an investigation and if it's an unsafe condition, the machine is LOTO until safe-guarding is in place. You don't keep amputating hands and say they need to be careful. So many ways to safe-guard hazards now with light curtains, actual bolted in place guards, railings, tools that reach in instead of hands, etc etc. One major accident and your company should have had a solution.

Inexcusable, and your company is in for lawsuits. 4x in 8 weeks in the same job? Hands being amputated? Wow! Yes, OSHA is on it's way.

Last edited:
ive worked most of my adult life in manufacturing, brake presses, roll formers, shears, the same principle applies, respect the machine, and you will be fine

It's a calendar. We make plastic. Basically there is a 4 roll stack rolls one and two are perpendicular and rolls 3 4 and 5 are stacked above 2 the plastic chunks make go in between 1 and 2 aka the feed bed and it melts the rolls are super hot as it melts it sticks to 2 and comes around the front or 2 then sticks to 3 and goes to the back of 3 then around the front of 4 and so on that gap in between the rolls is what makes the gauge or thickness of the sheet so your looking at about a .02 gap depending what gauge they was running from my understanding it was a start up so we gap around .05-.06 a pretty damn tight gap for your fingers .

When an accident occurs, safety team does an investigation and if it's an unsafe condition, the machine is LOTO until safe-guarding is in place. You don't keep amputating hands and say they need to be careful. So many ways to safe-guard hazards now with light curtains, actuals bolted in place guards, railings, tools that reach in instead of hands, etc etc. One major accident and your company should have had a solution.

Inexcusable, and your company is in for lawsuits. 4x in 8 weeks in the same job? Hands being amputated? Wow! Yes, OSHA is on it's way.
Yea I agree that is what worries me! It's a very scary situation. I can't afford to be unemployed!

Here is a pretty good picture of what we do but this photo is upside down from how we do it the two that are side by side are on the bottom and the roll stack goes up.

Figure+A+typical+roll+configuration+in+calendering.jpg

I have been maintenance at a print shop for about a year and a half. Not new to maintenance, but new to printing. Rollers everywhere!. We have relatively new management and 'the way it always was' is not an answer. We constantly get new people and many are young and no experience. Some don't seem to have self preservation very high on their priorities. If there is a pinch/nip point we guard it. I have made or improved a LOT of guards. **** still happens, but every guard is one less chance...

Yea I agree that is what worries me! It's a very scary situation. I can't afford to be unemployed!
I'd rather find a new job and keep my hands. Right now the job market is booming. Way more jobs than workers. If your company employees almost 400 people, they'll pay the osha fine, their insurance will pay for the lawsuits, their insurance will go up for work comp, some bad publicity, and you'll probably have a safer work place. It's obvious the management is only worried about the bottom line $$$ and not it's work force.

I'd rather find a new job and keep my hands. Right now the job market is booming. Way more jobs than workers. If your company employees almost 400 people, they'll pay the osha fine, their insurance will pay for the lawsuits, their insurance will go up for work comp, and you'll probably have a safer work place. It's obvious the management is only worried about the bottom line $$$ and not it's work force.
I agree with the last sentence that's why i have worked 72 hours a week since Christmas!! They will not hire good help. They have a constant rotation of these temps that they pay 8.50 an hour and then they are gone in three months. We are almost out of senior employees!
My problem is I make good money I'm not gonna say how much on an open forum but for this area its definitely good money. I have no real education or any experience other than this place iv worked here since I was 19. So for the area I'm in I'd have to start completely over at an entry level job at 9 bucks an hour.

. When was was in the punch out line the site manager came thru and he asked us is it true about the guy and his hand?
Our manager would have been on the floor seconds after it happened. Machine would have been down. PERIOD.
He would have led the investigation and been relentless to find every detail and a solution to be sure it couldn't happen again before the lock came off.

And why would anyone need to have their hands close to that?
In the incident today they were doing a start up so there was no material on the rolls and from what I understand he was cleaning the rolls with a rag! When cleaning you are supposed to wipe from the non pinch point side of the roll.
The last one the guy was trying to pull a piece of burnt loose plastic off the edges (dumbass) the other 2 was kind of freak accidents. One guy cut his fingers off on the augger (mixes the plastic before it gets to the rolls) I don't know what happened to the first guy

Our manager would have been on the floor seconds after it happened. Machine would have been down. PERIOD.
He would have led the investigation and been relentless to find every detail and a solution to be sure it couldn't happen again before the lock came off.
You work in a similar field dont you? We have discussed this before your company is a customer of ours.

To me it's a red flag for today's work force. This plant has been around since 1992 and before last month it had only happened 4 times ever. Now it's happened 4 times in 2 months. I'm not gonna say no more than that but we have very good policy and procedures and there not getting followed.

If the safety procedures are not being followed, it's up to management and supervision to enforce them...

Where I work right now there are dangers also... They have hi-def cameras all over and everything is recorded... If there are any accidents, the video is reviewed and critiqued on what could have been done different to prevent the accident and the employee is subject to a drug test immediately, the videos are shown to all employees to learn from other's mistakes...

-
Back