Bad day...

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
Started off the day by painting the Super Six manifold in preparation for getting Hoopty back out.. Was ordering the new Weber tonight. Figured I'd move him into a better spot in the shop to do the work so I pulled the dusty tarp off and found a little bit of antifreeze on the floor. I didn't panic and thought maybe it was hose, a clamp or maybe a freeze plug had corroded.. Been parked for a few years.

I pushed the old truck into a better spot and got started.. Pulled out the seats and removed the left engine cover and began examining the freeze plugs. Not the freeze plugs! Got crazy cold here this past winter and the antifreeze just didn't out. Big nasty Crack in the block! Blame myself, naturally.

I was planning to have the ol' boy back on the road by next weekend.. Crap crap crap!

Sorry to hear of you troubles but quoting Oscar Goldman ....with of course with a few changes.

" A engine barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's fastest engine. This engine will be that engine. Better than what it was before. Better, stronger, faster."
-Oscar Goldman

Just talked to a local guy parting out a 72 dart.. 59k on it and will take 300 for the slant. Can hear run

Just such a pita to swap this motor.. Through the passenger door!

Just talked to a local guy parting out a 72 dart.. 59k on it and will take 300 for the slant. Can hear run

I just did the same swap in my A100 van. My old slant was running sweet. Rebuilt an other for the fun of it I guess. /6 and 904 through the door.. Have fun, love your truck

seems about 250 too much for a slantie

Good one haha.

Last one I bought was a hundred bucks.. So you'e close!

Last one I got rid off I could not give away...no one wanted it
I finally just junked it

In my lifetime I've junked at least 3 Mopar engines, broken due to no anti freeze

One was an HP 383. I started it, no water in the oil, and no coolant, thought pssssffffhhsffft!!! Noddi'n wrong!!! Put in some water, put in some water and PUT IN SOME WATER.....YUP!!! Great big cracks down in the valley under the intake

Another was a commondo 273, and I forget the other one

It actually had antifreeze... Just not enough I guess.

Was fine for years but it was a hard winter.

Sell him the one out of the "you know what"
It's gotta come out so that 408 can go in anyway
The “you know what” has a 318 it so it’ll be staying in there for awhile since it won’t be too terrible to drive as is. :D

In my lifetime I've junked at least 3 Mopar engines, broken due to no anti freeze

One was an HP 383. I started it, no water in the oil, and no coolant, thought pssssffffhhsffft!!! Noddi'n wrong!!! Put in some water, put in some water and PUT IN SOME WATER.....YUP!!! Great big cracks down in the valley under the intake

Another was a commondo 273, and I forget the other one

Drained fluids last night. I don't think my problem was due to no antifreeze... maybe too much? Maybe I added some antifreeze and didn't dilute it enough at one time. I didn't get around to testing it but I will tonight

antifreeze.jpg

Finally found a donor. Another member here had the pretty clean /6 out of his 74 Duster project. Hundred bucks for a complete runner, oil pan to air cleaner. I shoulda got his member name..

Being a 74, I'll have to swing by the machine shop and have the flywheel honed for later crank indexing.

-
Back