Bad lifter

-

Cudakid71

Reaction score
is it common to get a bad lifter when replacing a cam and lifters?

just did that to my 340 and when I started it I had a slight tap, but it ran decent. I no longer hear the tap, but now its poping through the exhaust. I pulled the valve covers and there is one lifter that I can push down with the push rod, all others I cant seem to move. I assume this means a bad lifter?? :banghead:

you need to check the cam lobes to make sure you don't have any flat ones as that would really suck....

^^^^ My best guess is you wiped a lobe out on cam break in.

is it common to get a bad lifter when replacing a cam and lifters?

just did that to my 340 and when I started it I had a slight tap, but it ran decent. I no longer hear the tap, but now its poping through the exhaust. I pulled the valve covers and there is one lifter that I can push down with the push rod, all others I cant seem to move. I assume this means a bad lifter?? :banghead:

if you can plunge the lifter easily and bottom it out , then yes it collapsed, just went through that myself

with only 4 miles just replace that lifer
and use comp cams break in lube

Finally got the bad lifter out today, it's worn BAD and has a whole in the bottom of it! turned the engine over and yep, I have a wiped out lobe!! I only have 4 miles on this engine anyone else ever have tis problem??:banghead:

Finally got the bad lifter out today, it's worn BAD and has a whole in the bottom of it! turned the engine over and yep, I have a wiped out lobe!! I only have 4 miles on this engine anyone else ever have tis problem??:banghead:

How did you break in that cam?

Use tons of assembly lube, 30 weight break-in oil, and make sure you don't crank that engine over too much before it fires. If it cranks a lot before firing (i.e. timing off/180* out), then redo the assembly lube again (that's what Comp recommends). Hopefully you're not running a super heavy spring either, that could be an issue. Keep the rpm above 1800-2000 and even blip throttle to 3000rpms a few times to seat the rings. 20 mins - half hour seems to always work well. Avoid idling as much as possible until you get some miles on it, that can be hard on the cam. Just my 2cents.

I used plenty of assembly lube and I have castrol 20/50 oil in it, ran it at 2000 rpms for 1/2 hour. maybe I should use lighter oil??

I put a 484 lift purple shaft in it, any suggestions on what cam I should or shouldn't use? The engine is a 72 340 bored .030 over with a set of X heads.

I used plenty of assembly lube and I have castrol 20/50 oil in it, ran it at 2000 rpms for 1/2 hour. maybe I should use lighter oil??

I put a 484 lift purple shaft in it, any suggestions on what cam I should or shouldn't use? The engine is a 72 340 bored .030 over with a set of X heads.

Nothing wrong with the cam choice. You might want to check the spring pressure before you break in another cam. Vary the RPMs a little bit more. Give it another go. Good luck.

the whole engine should be taken apart and cleaned the fine cam grindings will destroy the rest of your engine

the whole engine should be taken apart and cleaned the fine cam grindings will destroy the rest of your engine
oh ya, just like starting from scratch. new filter and oil too... only say'n because i've seen someone not bother :banghead:

-
Back