Bad "New" parts frustration.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Bad "New" parts frustration.

So last month when I got my Barracuda back on the road, I immediately started having cooling problems.

System would not hold pressure, lower hose would visibly start collapsing at idle and so on.

This is what I found.... My brand new radiator cap and thermostat were not working correctly. Both NAPA, stock replacements.

I had my radiator flowed and pressure tested, replaced both the upper and lower hoses (because they were AT LEAST, 25 years old), ordered a lower hose spring http://www.cjponyparts.com/lower-radiator-hose-spring-stainless-steel-small-block-1965-1973/p/HW769/, (perfect replacement), and replaced the cap and thermostat with high quality replacements.

The above solved the problem.

Back in the day, you could walk into a parts store and get something simple like a cap and thermostat and be reasonably assured that they would work.

Looks like those days are gone. I'm just glad I didn't cook the fresh rebuild. People that pay less attention to vitals could be hit with a big bill from this crap being sold.

I quit buying most stuff at NAPA. What I've found is their service (here) is no better most the time than O'Really? their parts are every bit as Chineseo'y and their prices are always higher. So I might as well at least get a little better price!!!

I always boil some water in a pot on the stove and drop in my thermostats before installing them to make sure that they at least open when they get in boiling water... :cheers:

They don't make them like they used to. Thanks to all the jobs and parts going to China. Cheap crap.... :banghead:

I quit buying most stuff at NAPA. What I've found is their service (here) is no better most the time than O'Really? their parts are every bit as Chineseo'y and their prices are always higher. So I might as well at least get a little better price!!!

You know..... That's exactly what I'm seeing in my neck of the woods.

I feel for the guys that repair cars for a living. Several friends of mine that do, have some stories to tell. One guy told me when ordering parts will ask how many do you have ? I'll need at least 2 or 3 to get one that works. He did a VW Jetta and put 3 water pumps on in 35 days.The only one that worked and didn't leak was a factory dealer part. Not to say what the car owner thought of his work..

Maybe "we" should start a class liability suit. GM would be "proud"............

On my 5th t-stat from NAPA in one of our vehicles. And this one is no good...the store I deal with gives me some pretty steep discounts, and this is the only dead part that I have gotten form them so I will keep going back. Rich did mention a "premium" t-stat last time I got this one, perhaps it is time I try it...

On my 5th t-stat from NAPA in one of our vehicles. And this one is no good...the store I deal with gives me some pretty steep discounts, and this is the only dead part that I have gotten form them so I will keep going back. Rich did mention a "premium" t-stat last time I got this one, perhaps it is time I try it...

There are even thermostats, that when they fail,, they "fail open" ,,

so you don't overheat your engine finding out the stat is shot..

you have to ask for it..

Ign. Module went out on my Sport. O'Reilly is only game in town. They had 4 in stock, and none worked. They ordered me a name brand, (brain fart, can't remember what) made in USA. Twice the price, but it worked, and has been for 6 or 7 years now. 2 shops I deal with, use O'Reilly very little. Some Auto Zone, but mostly dealer parts. Several years ago, and old girlfriend had an alternator go out on a Sunday. After putting 2 O'Reilly ones on that were no good, and 2 trips, I made them test it before I left the store. Took 3 more to get a good one.

Same here, Our local NAPA stooped low to hide the fact that a part was made in China by using a sharpie to hide made in china on the box. Pretty shady if you ask me.

Same here, Our local NAPA stooped low to hide the fact that a part was made in China by using a sharpie to hide made in china on the box. Pretty shady if you ask me.

I'm surprised about that. I'll pay a premium at my local napa just for the knowledge and service of the staff. But ya'll are right, generally the entry/mid line parts are imported junk and the premium line is dealer priced:wack:

Ugh...I don't even want to get started on this. It's unreal...the lack of quality control in car parts is just staggering. In the last year or two, I've sent back a couple whole carburetors (new ones, one flooding one half the cylinders only), points, fuel pressure regulators, a new radiator.......I try to rebuild old parts when I can anymore, but that's not always possible.

More often than not I can buy a part at my local NAPA equally priced, and sometimes less than, the box stores.

I do get preferred customer status as I buy a ton of stuff from them.

Carquest is the only one that hasn't let me down.

Carquest is the only one that hasn't let me down.

We have a Carquest in town too, I may need to start going there more. NAPA has always been my "Go To" store and I get a discount on parts, but my discount really isn't worth anything if I'm replacing parts twice.

Its not just one store, they all have to get the parts where they can. i tend to pay more for parts from napa when its a tricky part, because theres nothing worse then getting a young kid at autozone or O'Reilly helping me and you tell them what you need and they have no idea what it is or goes to, let alone have a book to refer to. One person even asked what brand a plymouth was. I feel for the stores because they have to try to stay in business and still have to buy the china crap knowing there may be a problem.
I went through 3 alternators in as many months, and the good thing was they had a lifetime warrenty. all 3 had different problems. one had the shaft sliding in and out, the other had a charge problem, and the 3rd had the case bolts backing out. I presently have 6 regulators on the bench that ive pulled off my 2 cars, and i just took off an oil filter that had the side of the filter case get a crack in it. It seems its not the simple gasket problems we have to worry about now days.

It's not just NAPA...

Whats wrong with this picture ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 282
Yep... Sad thing is that I didn't notice it while I was washing them etc...

They sent another overnight.

Timely post. A coworker just overheated his 90's Chev truck. It had a fresh crate motor he had shipped up from somewhere in the US. Thermostat failed. Brand:NAPA PREMIUM,or whatever their "best" is. He's beyond pissed. You would think they could still build a reliable thermostat. Not really a whole lot to it.

-
Back