bad news on my free 360.

-

7dart0

Reaction score
so i got the motor from my brother-in-law out of his 87 ramcharger. i was going to freshen it up with new head gaskets timing chain, cam, etc.and put it in my dart.
well i pulled the passenger side head and cylinder one is all rusted on the wall. can this be fixed or is the block junk? i didnt even pull the other head yet as i was very put off b m find.

tom

so i got the motor from my brother-in-law out of his 87 ramcharger. i was going to freshen it up with new head gaskets timing chain, cam, etc.and put it in my dart.
well i pulled the passenger side head and cylinder one is all rusted on the wall. can this be fixed or is the block junk? i didnt even pull the other head yet as i was very put off b m find.

tom

Tear it totally down and have it magnafluxed. It might be able to be bored or it could be sleaved in that cylinder. It depends on how hard another block would be to come by on if it is worth sleaving.

Really depends on how rusty it is, you'd be amazed what will clean up with a .030" over pass.

But, as far as dropping it in without a full rebuild it you're probably done. Unless its just some light flash that you can take off with some oil and a scruffy pad, it will need an overbore.

dingleball hone until smooth and run it until you find a good 360...What could it hurt, a set of gaskets and some blowby?

dingleball hone until smooth and run it until you find a good 360...What could it hurt, a set of gaskets and some blowby?

I'm bad about going to the extreme with everything. You are correct. I never think about what a person might need to save in order to get transportation going... way to get to work etc...

From following has posts he is in the begining stages of a /6 swap so I don't think this is a have to case to be an immediate driver. He has a lot of upgrades planned for his baby.

Just saw this thread I am mostly over on FEBO. I`m rebuilding my 360 and I have the old pistons and rods from my motor they are Keith Black hyperutectic pistons. One piston was bad I have 7 left. I didn`t know what to do with these and I hate to just scrap them I figure they must be worth something to somebody. If you need them let me know I would let them go dirt cheap I believe they are .030 I can double check with my machinist to be sure on size. I see in your profile your from Peabody i`m down by New Bedford, Ma so were not too far apart.

thanks for the replies, the rust is kinda heavy. i knew the motor onyl had around 90K so i was just going to drive it for a couple summers to get the car road worthy, then build it bigger. o well i guess its just gonna take more dough to get it to go.

let me know on the pistons. can you buy just one piston? i was planning to eventually bore it .030.

I bought my motor knowing it had a bad piston which I was going to repair and or sleeve if necessary so I don`t think there is a problem buying just one piston. I will double check the size. Hopefully others here can chime in with advice if this is a good way to put this motor back together on the cheap side for a low buck type build.

Number one intake or exhaust valve could have been open during storage time letting mosture in number one. And yes I have bought one piston before, but that was about 14 years ago.

If it's just surface rust, then the motor sat with that cylinders' valves open for a long period of time, and the rust would be scraped off on the first crank. This is more common than most people want to accept, and isn't much to worry about.

If it's a rust blossom from a crack or pore...the owner of this motor would have known it.
Pics will help, but I don't think I'd worry about it one bit, if it's just surface rust.

Just spoke to my engine builder the pistons I have are .030 let me know if you are interested in them. If you don`t need them I may have someone else who wants them.Thanks!

heres the pic i hope it works.

enginerust.png

The rust doesn't look too bad to me. A .030/.040 should clean that up ok. Kinda weird it's only on the top side. But the lower side of the piston looks really funky like some serious detonation was going on? Might just be the pic though?

The rust doesn't look too bad to me. A .030/.040 should clean that up ok. Kinda weird it's only on the top side. But the lower side of the piston looks really funky like some serious detonation was going on? Might just be the pic though?

If you enlarge the picture you can see where water had pooled there.

I would definitely tear it down especially since you're going to have it in your pride and joy. No since in taking chances then have to take it back out.

I bet that'll bore right out.

If the idea is a temporary runner, I'd say pull that piston, hit the bore with some naval jelly, then use a quick ball hone on it and run it. The rust up where the rings need to seal is minor surface and I doubt it would create a big issue in a mild place-holder. Seen much worse pits in running engines tht ran pretty good. Not perfect.. but a possible temporary solution for you.

-
Back