Bad water pump body

-

Gopher

Reaction score
Ok to start I had a mystery water leak from around my water pump. Checking around the pump found no loose bolts, weep dry, and the front seal in good shape, but there was still some moisture I the pump. Scratching my head I said let it develope. Well it did seems it developed a pin hole in the body and was spraying on my fan blades. Pulling the off find the impeller is bent a bit and rubbing on the backing plate and there is a lot of corrosion on the hose ends.I don't remember droping the pump but who knows. The aeration is has this happened to anyone else (the pin hole in the body of the pump).

As I recall the water pump body is aluminum, so prone to corrosion. They are fairly cheap.

True, but of funny thing it was just over a year old

I replaced a water pump because of the corrosion had plugged the bypass port and when I cleaned it out, the outlet was super thin ( thus replaced ) and 2 yrs later and it did it again. I live less than 5 miles from work, so do the math on the mileage ( about 3k per year )

Yah have to keep 50/50 anti-freeze mix in cooling system, and change it every several years to prevent corrosion problems.

-
Back