Baffles under valve covers..

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been running these aluminum holley valve covers that came with my motor.

It has no baffles under the fill cap, pcv, and the breather elbow that goes to the air cleaner..

it does look like its possible to add something to the underside of the valve cover...is it important to do so?

Thanks

Shane

I have the same covers, but with the M/T logo instead of Holley on them...mine have a baffle under the PCV tube in one valve cover and one under the breather hole on the other. The oil cap will never have a baffle.

With those valve covers you should be able to easily fabricate some out of some sheet metal and bolt them into the underside of the covers.

Basically the baffles keep the oil from slinging into the breather or PCV, which should keep it from leaking all over the engine bay

Yes, You should have them in there. The pcv is sucking oil in, it will clog the pcv. Plus could cause other problems.

thanks!

i have had to add oil from time to time, even though I do not see any leaks..

plus the sounds my pcv makes sometimes worries me....I will look into baffles asap...

good advice.you're getting. also next time at a swap meet, look at the guys with all the valve covers, they have a pvc(kind of big) that has its own baffel. it looks like the size of a spark plug socket. cost 20 bucks or less. :)

Get some VC grommets that have a "cross cut" or "cut" underneath them that act as a baffle. They should be availible at any parts store in the "High Perf, lol" section.

As long as you don't have tons of blow-by, they work just fine. Just check them once a year. Let me see if I can find a pic....

Here you go!!!

Grommets.jpg

Mopar Performance sells separate baffle kits for their aluminum valve covers. Check them to see what they look like, then fab your own. As stated, drill and tap the bosses underneath.

Thanks everyone! I will make them up and I believe the spots under the valve cover were threaded, but if not i will drill and tap them

Shane

-
Back