balance point for SL6

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I use the two threaded bosses on the slant six head to pull the engine. Last time I used an engine puller with a balancer, so I could tilt the engine one way or the other during pull and install. But, I had the hood off. This time, I want to pull the SL6 without removing the hood. As such, I want to make a custom plate that bolts to the two bosses (1/2" thick) so I can make it as low-profile as possible. So, I'll use a shackle loop somewhere along that plate, likely put the engine hoist pin directly through that shackle. The question is, where to place the shackle along the plate. Does anyone know where, along the head, the balance point is for the slant 6? If I use a longer plate, I can put the shackle forward of the forward boss, or obviously I can put it between the two bosses. The center point of the intake manifold is a few inches away from the forward boss, but as I guestimate, the balance point of the engine is somewhere forward of that center point. Has anyone figured this out before. If I am to remove the engine with the hood on, I would think a slight tilt, with the rear of the engine lower than the front, would be optimal. I have a 12" long plate, so I think I'll put two holes for the shackle, one just forward of the manifold center point, and another forward of the forward boss, that would give me flexibility.

If anyone is wondering, the steel bar is 1/2" thick 4140 hardened alloy steel and the shackle is rated to vertical lift 1,525 lbs.

thanks if anyone has thoughts, and I'll share if it works well.

Brian

...I can certainly remove the hood, thank you, that wasn't the question.

Of the two bolt holes on the head between the manifolds and the valve cover, the front hole will balance the engine by itself. The rear hole will balance the engine/transmission combo.

I designed a steel bracket that takes advantage of this, it isn't exactly low profile, but it makes hooking up to the hoist simpler.

Thank you, Matt. You answered my question. Do you have pics of your bracket? Curious. Brian

-
Back