Balancer Puller ???

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using for a puller?
What I have I guess is a steering wheel puller, The Y shaped puller with a big pusher bolt in the middle and 3 bolts to go into the balancer. The bolt pattern isn't quite large enough dia to fit the balancer pattern and always bends my bolts. Whats the real deal? Thanks AL

That's what I use. Guess mine's just a little bigger? I think they do make different sizes of those.

If you can, when you bolt down the puller, pull it up snug to the balancer,( it takes the bending moment off the bolt ), then screw in the draw bolt to pull

Rent a balancer puller from your local O'reilly. You pay for the puller, use it, then take it back and get all you money back. Use them all the time.

I have the bolt type like pictured in the link above, and it works great on A, B, and RB motors. I bought a set of the 3 claw pullers to get the balancer off the 4.7 in my wife's Dakota......and I made up new cuss words before I finally got that thing to work!!!! :mad:

what I did to make it easier is I chucked up a dampener bolt (or another replacement bolt with correct thread diameter and pitch) in a lathe and center drilled the head of the bolt. That holds the jacking bolt (and live center) centered, and keeps from boogering up the crank threads, and/or thread chamfer.

Used on my 340 with only 2 bolts engaged. Had no trouble at all. I think a lot depends on getting the two bolts eqally deep into the balancer so that the puller face stays parallel with the face of the balancer for a good straight pull.
20190114_160618.jpg

-
Back