Balancing a 360 internally/ internal balance

-

StreetSleeper

Reaction score
H116cp pistons wrist pin and rings are lighter than stock 360 pistons (360 pistons alone weigh 584 grams, LA pins 153 grams? LA rods 758 grams?

H116:
Pin Weight Gram154
Weight W Pin Gram736
Weight w/o Pin Gram582

Aftermarket I beam rods are lighter than stock…Weight is approx. 595 grams, for the I beam for the small block Chrysler

Using a stock 360 crankshaft

Will internal balancing still require ADDING Mallory metal despite the weight reduction of aftermarket pistons and rods?

Stick shift street application but I have caught air over some train tracks and my heart almost matched the engine rpm sky rocketing into oblivion-didn’t lose the engine despite myself.

Yes I plan on using a RPM governor, This time.

Last edited:
Only the shop balancing will know, there are many factors to measure. Do you have the damper and flywheel for internal balance?

Only the shop balancing will know, there are many factors to measure. Do you have the damper and flywheel for internal balance?
Flywheel yes, I was looking for the damper that the machinist could adjust the weight with (it came with several weight options) -but have blanked out on the name of that balancer.

If you are internal balance then you need neutral balance flywheel and damper. And yes it will require some weight added to crank.

Flywheel yes, I was looking for the damper that the machinist could adjust the weight with (it came with several weight options) -but have blanked out on the name of that balancer.
Professional Products makes one with removable weights but if your going internal balance just buy a internal balance damper. I had my 72 340 cast crank internally balanced and used a JEGs brand SFI damper and its nice, has extra timing markes and every 90 degrees.

DO Not try to use the balancer to adjust the weight. Let the machinist do the voodoo that they do. You will be a TON better in the long run. As in, the engine will not eat itself due to "total harmonic distortion".

I have had a machinist use the profes
DO Not try to use the balancer to adjust the weight. Let the machinist do the voodoo that they do. You will be a TON better in the long run. As in, the engine will not eat itself due to "total harmonic distortion".
sional products balancer before, the machinist was an older fellow and didn’t seem to know any horror machining .

He couldn’t do more than 3 angle valve job not insert valve seats into a cast iron J head.
The professional products balancer is what he utilized to balance the previous assembly.
I’m not sure what to expect with the new-to-me machinists I’ll find since I have moved.

I have had a machinist use the profes

sional products balancer before, the machinist was an older fellow and didn’t seem to know any horror machining .

He couldn’t do more than 3 angle valve job not insert valve seats into a cast iron J head.
The professional products balancer is what he utilized to balance the previous assembly.
I’m not sure what to expect with the new-to-me machinists I’ll find since I have moved.
Post your location, someone might point you to a known good shop.

-
Back