Ball and trunnion boot replacement

-
Well I just did mine by sliding it thru, yea you have to grease the piss out of it. and the instructions say no tools. horse pooey ...use a paint stick, the ones that are about 3/4 inch wide and keep working it around pushing it in ( saves on your fingers) I wonder if one should try a piece of insulated wire looped around this boot one on each side and push the wire thru first, then once it is stuffed in one might be able to use the wires to help pull it thru. Hey it just says universal grease about an ounce or so What about bearing grease, that be OK ?

Hey Keith Mopar that diagram shows a button spring between the rollers and the centering button . mine did not have that. how important is that "

Well I just did mine by sliding it thru, yea you have to grease the piss out of it. and the instructions say no tools. horse pooey ...use a paint stick, the ones that are about 3/4 inch wide and keep working it around pushing it in ( saves on your fingers) I wonder if one should try a piece of insulated wire looped around this boot one on each side and push the wire thru first, then once it is stuffed in one might be able to use the wires to help pull it thru. Hey it just says universal grease about an ounce or so What about bearing grease, that be OK ?

I used synthetic bearing grease. Valvoline I believe.

Hey Keith Mopar that diagram shows a button spring between the rollers and the centering button . mine did not have that. how important is that "

Those spring clips were stuck to the cenerting buttons when I did mine. By the time I was done one spring clip had fallen of where it seemed like it was glued on. I'm sure it was because of more than 40 years of being stuck together, it became one. I cleaned off the old grease and didn't remove the spring clip from the one button. Maybe yours was the same.

If you have no vibration your probably ok. If you ever come accross one with clips it wouldn't hurt to put them on.

yes, ya know I second guessed you ,I used syn mobil one grease, and I have an extra shaft so I took one off of that ( one side only was missing) Do you think something so minor (they seem awful flat,like a normal washer) could have caused a vibration I had in the car at about 35/40 mph. faster or slower it would go away. I had the drive shaft itself balanced and that didn't help. Well the engine is down so I am going to get the crank and such all balanced.

-
Back