Ball joint help

-

n00blike

Reaction score
DO you have any tips on removing ball joints?
im trying to change upper control arms.

Turn the wheel and back off the ball joint nut a couple of turns, leave the tension on the torsion bar and hit the Spindle where the ball joint stud goes thru the spindle, after it pops loose don't forget to back off the tension on the torsion bar before you take the nut the rest of the way off. Works every time!

Do you have a factory service manual AND a Haynes or Chilton type manual?

The Haynes and Chilton types are more in plain English and made for the at home mechanic rather than a dealer technician.

I loosen the torsion bar, then loosen the nut until it's flush with the end of the stud. I use a ball joint removal tool to put tension on the stud, (it's available at most tool supply stores, i paid 20 bucks for mine) then give the side of the spindle a sharp rap with a hammer. It will seperate the ball joint from the spindle without harming the boot. Then if you want to remove the ball joint from the upper control arm, you need a special 4 sided socket to screw it out. Do NOT try to press it out. I always remove the ball joint from the upper control arm with the U.C.A. still attached to the car, that way you don't bend the U.C.A. like you would in a vice. A little heat applied to the joints works wonders too. Just don't use too much!
A note of caution! always leave the nut on at least a few threads or it might fly apart and seriously injure you! That goes for all of the suspension parts that you remove that have a tapered stud, including tie rod ends, idler arm, balljoints etc. When they let go, they have no mercy! :-D
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with the project, and let us know how it goes.
Tom.

Turn the wheel and back off the ball joint nut a couple of turns, leave the tension on the torsion bar and hit the Spindle where the ball joint stud goes thru the spindle, after it pops loose don't forget to back off the tension on the torsion bar before you take the nut the rest of the way off. Works every time!

Is this with the tire still on? Does it matter what direction i turn it?

I guess i should get a Haynes or Chilton type manual too for other stuff.

-
Back