Ball Joint Replacement

-

Joep

Reaction score
Hey guys, my demon failed inspection due to a bad ball joint. I've got one coming in in the morning but I have never done one before. Is there any special way to do it? Any tips?

check your service manual.. should be step by step directions..

is it an upper or lower joint?

Oh yeah forgot I had one of those! It is an upper ball joint

Don't use Moog products. The last pair of lowers I bought fell apart before and during the attempted install. Check out these instead.

http://xrfchassis.com/

I bought a set of XRF lowers out of Texas for the same price as the poor quality Moogs. Good thing I bought them through Summit Racing, as they were easy to return.

Attachments

• Moog 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 370
Is there a way to get a stuck rotor off without damaging it? I'm having trouble getting the rotor off which is holding me up!!

Is there a way to get a stuck rotor off without damaging it? I'm having trouble getting the rotor off which is holding me up!!

Stuck? Stuck how? A wheel bearing problem? If the spindle / bearings etc are damaged that could be a "project" If so, an old tapered axle hub puller might be in order..............

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Tool-How-to-Using-the-OTC-7394-Hub-Puller.html

dp-4.jpg

Usually I just beat the hell of them until they pop off but i can't ruin this one because it's still good and i don't have another one. I gave up on that part and got the bottom nut loose on the ball joint but now I can't seem to free the actually ball joint. Ive used a pickle fork and beat the side of the spindle but it still won't come off!

Check into the factory manual. There was another tool that worked like a screw jack. I built one out of bolts and a "nut coupler"

You can download manuals free at MyMopar. Some of those came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 290
Finally got the damn thing separated! Guess it just needed a little bit more persuasion with a different sized pickle fork! Friend of mine let me borrow his square socket and I got the old ball joint screwed out, come to find Crappa gave me the wrong Ball joint....:banghead:
Now got to wait till tomorrow morning again hopefully for the right ball joint from sanels...

Don't use Moog products. The last pair of lowers I bought fell apart before and during the attempted install. Check out these instead.

http://xrfchassis.com/

I bought a set of XRF lowers out of Texas for the same price as the poor quality Moogs. Good thing I bought them through Summit Racing, as they were easy to return.

Weird. I put Moog Lowers on a few months ago and they are fine.

I checked out that XRF link, doesn't look like they even sell them for my 74!

Guys for the life of me I just can not get the new boot on the new ball joint!! Ive tried using a big socket to try and bang it on there but it just will not go! Is there a trick to it or what??

For the uppers?

Not everyone has a press. If you know someone though you should ask them.

If not maybe use that socket with another for the other side and a large C-clamp. Make sure you don't press on the stud or the cover.

I've actually seen folks pull them on with two channel lock plier. That's just asking for problems though.

How I got mine on - went to lowes (took the boot with me), found a pipe/coupler that fit on it, then when I got him - tapped it on with a hammer.

Oh whoops - thought you were talking about lowers. Lol

Ok. I have been looking around here and i've seen lots of people use pvc like you said so that's probably gonna be my next try. Let you know how it goes!

Like 'jbc426' said do not use Moog, they are no longer the best. They are made in China, just like a lot of US companies, they cost less to the companies but usually not to public and now not only they don't last but they are no good at all.

It's not a moog, i have surprisingly been hearing that they aren't as good as they thought they were! It's a quick steer which probably isn't any better but it's all I could get for the time frame that I had. But I went to the hardware store picked up some pvc that fit around the boot and tried it out and it still will not go on!

But I went to the hardware store picked up some pvc that fit around the boot and tried it out and it still will not go on!

Heat it up in the microwave, or in a pot of boiling water.
I'm serious, that will make it plyable.

Is it just the ball joints moog makes are junk? Or are all moog products garbage?

-
Back