Ballast resister problems

-

moparmatt19

Reaction score
My work truck started cutting out and almost back firing every time you floor it or accelerate fast.bi bypassed the ballast with a wire and the problem goes away. Bought a new ballast but no change. It acts like a lean out problem. Is not a carb problem. And like I saidbit doesn't do it when I use a wire to bypass the ballast... Any ideas?

2 terminal "single" or 4 terminal 'dual" ballast? got another used coil you could sub in for a test?

X2, try another coil as it's probably breaking down inside.
If not that then low voltage to the run circuit. (chk this first of course)

low voltage to the run circuit. (chk this first of course)
Yes, jump from the batt positive post or starter relay batt stud directly to the upstream end of the ballast & you'll have an answer in seconds. EDIT upstream end is the blue wire end

I always thought that the ballast resistor either worked or didn't work?? It's kind of like a fuse, it's either "blown" or it's good?? Maybe some else knows more about that??

treblig

I always thought that the ballast resistor either worked or didn't work?? It's kind of like a fuse, it's either "blown" or it's good?? Maybe some else knows more about that??

treblig

I have personally both seen and heard of them partially failing, (low voltage) and I always assumed it was when the resistor wire inside started deteriorating from the heat and losing it's conductive ability.

I have personally both seen and heard of them partially failing, (low voltage) and I always assumed it was when the resistor wire inside started deteriorating from the heat and losing it's conductive ability.

Sounds reasonable!!

Treblig

My work truck started cutting out and almost back firing every time you floor it or accelerate fast.bi bypassed the ballast with a wire and the problem goes away. Bought a new ballast but no change. It acts like a lean out problem. Is not a carb problem. And like I saidbit doesn't do it when I use a wire to bypass the ballast... Any ideas?

Let's start with "what is" this work truck?

Make sure and I mean CERTAIN that the ECU is grounded, and suspect the coil. IF there is anything hooked to the coil NEG besides the ECU wire, unhook it. SUSPECT the coil wire bad, and check the cap / rotor for problems. Actually, while you are at it, would be well to check spark plug wires as well.

Sounds like low volt/amp to up stream side of the resistor. But like the other guys said CHECK CHECK CHECK.

Got a voltmeter? Check the IGN side of the ballast to ground when running. What is the voltage there? It should be close to battery voltage, if not you have voltage drop at bulkhead connections, ammeter, ignition switch.....

-
Back