Ballast resistors

-

dave ellis

Reaction score
I recall from back in the day that I always carried a spare balanced resistor because they often failed. However I never did find out why they fail or how.

Usually leaving the key in the run position with the points closed weakens them.

Last edited:
I don't think I've replaced more than two in my life and I'm 75. First RR was in spring of 71, then the 70 440-6. In the mid 70's I had a SB swapped into a FJ-40 Landcruiser, and that may have ate one because the hood leaked. You get out in the wet, the mud, the snow, and the engine bay got wet.

Personally I think most of it is overblown "legend." I sold auto parts for about 15 years and don't remember selling very many. I've been to junk yards looking over Mopars, and seen LOTS and LOTS where they appear to have had the OEM (by the old, crusty) ballasts, VR, and ECU boxes

1977 Dad drove us to the ski hill 2 hours from home in our new 1976 Fury Sport. Went to leave and it wouldn't start. Boosted it with a groomer even, but it would not start. Abandoned the car and fortunately caught the ski bus home just as it was leaving. Paid to have it towed all the way home a day or two later and all it was was the f'n ballast resistor. I've always carried a spare from that day to date. There is a spare in the glove box of every one of my cars, that way I'll never need them!

There was a period of time in the late 70s / early 80s where they had quality problems. I replaced a few of them & carried spares. I don’t think it has been an issue for 40 years.

I recall from back in the day that I always carried a spare balanced resistor because they often failed. However I never did find out why they fail or how.
The wire filament breaking is how they fail. Why, is metal fatigue from heating and cooling, or, physical abuse like impact on the insulator or yanking the wires off the terminal. Not much different than why an incandescent light bulb fails.

I have first-hand knowledge of this from this week. The ceramic filler used to seal the wire wound resister cracked and crumbed away allowing the resister to burn up. Heat and cold causes cracks and water causes corrosion. It was original to the 73 Fury the motor came from, not bad for a 50-year-old part.
1703552686406.png

I still have one in my glove box. I have it just in case someone needs it because I don't run them anymore. But really they weren't a big problem. Even if you were to have to just "jump-by-pass" it and get to where you need to go. No big deal. Plus they are easily replaced compared to a fusible link on other cars that suck to get to.

-
Back