Barn find dodge Daytona!!

-
Hmm sure it wasnt a turbo ??
I am pretty sure the 84 to 86 daytona and laser twin had vents in the hoods to exhaust the heat from the turbo and exhaust.

Yep no turbo on that car! Not bad IF I had expected that! But hell I could find one of these ALOT closer to home!

Great story, it is part of the hunt. Sometimes you drive a long ways, other times it is a series of missed meetings

Still part of the fun

Great story, it is part of the hunt. Sometimes you drive a long ways, other times it is a series of missed meetings

Still part of the fun

True if I wanted easy I would build Chevys! Or Mustangs! MOPAR or no CAR!

My buddy and I chased a widows "70 big block" vette that was said to be for sale for $2400 with about the same outcome. we drove for 3 hours to find a lame 1980 model, with a crushed nose, 305 V8 and auto, interior was thrashed AND it didnt run, but we did...home with our money.

Then it had the wrong hood, because the vent on the hood was for the turbo cars. It looked like a nice car, though. I was thinking 80's Daytona from the start of your story.... hope you had a nice road trip :)

I did not see that coming. Bought one special order through the PX in Germany. Without the catalyst and enough autobahn in front of it, the car would get down the road nicely.

The G-body Daytona had extremely quick steering. While I was driving toward Paris in the Ardennes at night during a blinding snow storm, I hit a "stalactite" that fell off a truck while I was going about 120 kph. The wife woke up and asked "What is going on?" When she saw the guard rail separating us from opposing traffic whizzing past through the windshield, she screamed waking our daughters who had been asleep in the back of the car. While this was going on, I did a fair impression of Stig Blomqvist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stig_Blomqvist correcting the yaw of the car without so much as a wiggle and proceeded down the road leaving the wife to settle the kids. I attribute my ability to correct the slide to the quick steering of the Daytona and driving the previous ten years in cold climates.

A few months ago I went to drug store and saw a early 60's A-body type, 4-door car in the parking lot. I don't remember ever seeing a car that looked like that, but when I got closer the logo on the side said Daytona. So I figured it was a Dodge. It had a V-8 and 3-speed on the column. Anyway the guy comes out and we talk awhile and he takes me around the back of the car. The letters on the trunk spelled "Studebaker."

Just keep in mind that some of the later Daytona's like my 93 R/T are very rare pieces(1 of 17 in white and # 4 down the assembly line)And until the Hellcat showed up held the most HP per cubic inch of any auto that Ma Mopar built.

Attachments

• 000_4245.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 000_4247.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 172
How could I have passed on this? Year unknown! COULD have been a 69! Pictures would have helped! BUT I dident want this to get away! There goes a day of my life and 500.00!

Yeah, But how about all that QUALITY time with Wifey ??

So sorry Tim, but think of all the smiles you put on our faces...great story.

Just keep in mind that some of the later Daytona's like my 93 R/T are very rare pieces(1 of 17 in white and # 4 down the assembly line)And until the Hellcat showed up held the most HP per cubic inch of any auto that Ma Mopar built.

If that car looked like YOUR car, I would have it now! very nice. MT:burnout:

Yeah, But how about all that QUALITY time with Wifey ??

Yes great time. I got to hear how "your spending too much time, money on ""those old cars!"" AND you know you have to do..........on the property!. NICE!

Yes great time. I got to hear how "your spending too much time, money on ""those old cars!"" AND you know you have to do..........on the property!. NICE!

And I imagine, That's a fine way to waste $500.00 on fuel, when you got back home?

Hmm sure it wasnt a turbo ??
I am pretty sure the 84 to 86 daytona and laser twin had vents in the hoods to exhaust the heat from the turbo and exhaust.

It was a faux vent, they all had that look, according to what I have seen. But, not a turbo car.

And until the Hellcat showed up held the most HP per cubic inch of any auto that Ma Mopar built.

I'm guessing you don't consider my Dodge Stealth to be built by Ma Mopar.

if that's what you're saying, I have no problem with that...since it's a mitsubishi:D

I like it! I heard The 85' turbo version ate Turbo's, and blew head gaskets. The 86' had bigger head bolts, and The standard engine was much more reliable.

At the Richmond Ca. Pick-n-pull an eighties turbo in pretty good shape was set out in the yard. It looked like it was parked for a long time the silver paint was toast..I saw it 2 months ago right after they put it out, then went back a month later and it looked the same. Nobody needs parts I guess.

-
Back