Barracuda 273 9.5 inch clutch

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the 2-barrel version of the 273 in my 1967 Barracuda with an A-833 four speed transmission. I have the 9 in clutch and want to go to a 10 in clutch if possible.

Does anyone know if the bell housing and flywheel are the same for both the 9 and 10 inch clutches? I seem to remember reading somewhere the 10 inch clutch used a larger flywheel, therefore a different bell housing due the the diameter of the flywheel and starter placement.

Is it as simple as finding an A-body bell housing and flywheel out of a car that had a 318 and 10 inch clutch or is it possible to use my existing 9 inch bell housing and flywheel?

David
Kansas City, MO

your gonna need a new flywheel and bellhousing and cluych,pressure plate,and probably have to re engineer the linkage

In my 64 valiant when I switched to the 10.95 clutch, I had to do some floor surgery. I also had to switch my z-bar, linkage, clutch throw out arm, flywheel and bellhousing. I know Brewers Performance has the stuff to help with the bigger clutch conversion...

http://brewersperformance.com/topcategories.asp

Get a taxi HD clutch for that year 273. It will fit and it worked for me. Its been a long time If I remember right your clutch doesnt go all the way to the edge of the flywheel and the Taxi one does. Plus you can get rid of that style pressure plate. Like I say its been a long time since i did this like 44 years ago. If you go this way you dont have to change anything except pressure plate and clutch disk. Good luck

The '70's and '80's van slant 6 clutch is a bolt-in. You just need to round up a set of grade 8 allen head bolts for the pressure plate.

When I did my /6 to 273 conversion last year I got a 10" clutch and pressure plate from autozone that worked with my 9 1/2 " flywheel, Bolted right up and used a 3 finger pressure plate. I had to swap out the shitty throw out bearing so if you use that set up buy another bearing that's made in USA

I got a setup from Phoenix Friction and the cheap throw-out bearing ruined my pressure plate. I never could get the thing adjusted properly. I think the pressure plate finger height was set up wrong. I ordered a set from Brewers and had it checked by the local Clutchmasters shop and it was perfect. I installed it and it works great. toolman

So if this is true:

The '70's and '80's van slant 6 clutch is a bolt-in. You just need to round up a set of grade 8 allen head bolts for the pressure plate.

What parts are "bolt in". Which ones do I need from the 1970-80's van just the pressure plate and flywheel or do I need to bell housing, linkage, z-bar, etc

So if I call up a pressure plate manufacturer like Hays or Centerforce and tell them I have a 1977 Dodge van with a three speed and a 225 slant six the pressure plate would fit my car? Is that possible?

So if I call up a pressure plate manufacturer like Hays or Centerforce and tell them I have a 1977 Dodge van with a three speed and a 225 slant six the pressure plate would fit my car? Is that possible?
Yes, just the pressure plate and disc from the 6cyl. truck/van along with those bolts. The clutch is a little over 10" but still fits the early flywheel and bell housing. The release bearing is the same also.

-
Back