Barracuda Formula S Experts Opinions Needed

-
Why is the bracket on the inside fenderwell for the Z-Bar bolted on? They are welded from the factory. Thats telling me that is a conversion or a rebodied car.

Looks like it ripped through at one time. Look at the welds around bracket. Not the first time something like that has happened. And it wouldn't rip like that at all on a automatic car.

But you bring up a point. The only way to tie the body to the vin is a buildsheet on a 1968. If the car has been entirely restored at some point without pre resto pictures, the body numbers and fender tag could be swapped from another car. But the vin would still have to a "P" code Formula S coupe.

You'd be swapping the body number and tag from one 340-S coupe to another 340-S coupe. Sort of unlikely.

My car is much nicer overall than this 4 speed car for sale. My car is matching, fender tag, broadacst sheet and yes I have thought about swapping in a 4 speed. At the end of the day, I'm not sure I want to alter my car. I do want a 4 speed car though and maybe it's something to consider. I have had both the fastback and notchback body styles. I like both, but for me I prefer the notch. If the right 68 or 69 340/383 notch or fastback car comes along, I am always interested and willing to buy a second car. I did think it was funny that the 4 speed I found was also Matador red. That was just by chance.

I asked about it and he said it was done when the disc brake conversion was done. I have never done that on a car, so I dont know whats involved. Their was a stamp by the radiator support that matched the broadcast sheet, so I dont think it's a rebodied car.

He said it was something to do with the disc brake conversion/control arm. I wasn't able to get under the car and check it out, but would before even considering buying it.

I wouldn't sweat it, IF the clutch and trans is currently working properly

Souldn't have anything to do with the disk brake swap.

Some people relocated the chassis pick up point for the brake hard line which is a completely different bracket. Sounds like they welded a new chassis bracked to move the line to the front of the upper control arm to simulate the way the 73-76 A-bodies. That's the hard way to do a simple thing.

Turns out it is not really necessary if you get the correct brake caliper flex line of a mid 70's Cordoba.

My car is much nicer overall than this 4 speed car for sale. My car is matching, fender tag, broadacst sheet and yes I have thought about swapping in a 4 speed. At the end of the day, I'm not sure I want to alter my car. I do want a 4 speed car though and maybe it's something to consider. I have had both the fastback and notchback body styles. I like both, but for me I prefer the notch. If the right 68 or 69 340/383 notch or fastback car comes along, I am always interested and willing to buy a second car. I did think it was funny that the 4 speed I found was also Matador red. That was just by chance.

Are you OK with this cars current condition? Meaning you aren't going to start spending lots of money to make it in the condition of your current 68 340-S?

IMHO, it's too nice condition currently and not worth enough fixed more up to justify spending a lot of money on it.

That speedo face is wrong and the woodgrain as previously stated before for a 1968. Burlwood overlays aren't available as far as I know.

Looks like a nice car but waaaaaay over priced.

Let me throw this out there.

As far as I know the motor and trans numbers should match the vin.# on the dash.

The 1968 fender tag had used a sales order number and not a vin#. My point being the motor numbers should not match the fender tag. Unless this was some odd ball really late production 68 car.

You really need documentation with the sales order number and the vin# like the broadcast sheet to really tie the car all together. IMO

Based on the original post something doesn't sound right to me about the fender tag.

Edit: Sorry autoxcuda touched on this already

Yes the fender tag has the shipping order number not the vin number.The shipping order number can also be found on the radiator core support,trunk lip,build sheet,and window sticker.The shipping order will not be on the block,the block should have a date code within 3 months of the build date of the car.Also there should be a 3 on th bottom row of the fender tag for the 4 speed.If numbers check out and it has a nice body and runs good.I would say 10-12K

Jim

I'm sorry that was a typo on my part. The engine/trans match with the vin. The fender tag matches with the radiator core support. I believe it is a true 340S 4 speed car and I don't have any concerns with that. With some of the mentioned issues with the car, I was wanting some opinions on value. It appears lower to mid teens maybe more realistic than his asking price.

That fix on that fender well z bar bracket which makes me very suspicious of a rebody. What other sloppy work lerks where you can't see? I would look at those floors, trunk floors, trunk drop downs, and inside the quarter panels, inner fenders very closely. Look under the dash, eng compartment, and trunk to make sure the wire harnesses are not hacked up.

If that fender tag belongs on that body that is a rare car being a Formula S 4 spd with AC. As far as them selling it for 10-12k unless they are desparate to sell they will probably hold out for more and wait for a less educated buyer.

Overall thats a really nice looking car. Just make sure you look that body over cause it might be all patched up under all the pretty paint.

I respect the opinions of several of the members on this site and I need to come up with a fair offer for this car. I know several own these 340/383 cars. I have located a 68 Formula S 340 4 speed notch for sale. I own the automatic version and this 4 speed has me wanting to make a move on it. Here is the fender tag brake down.

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 340cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: E70x14 Red Sidewall, steel belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: July 16.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Deluxe Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. White Horizontal Sport Stripe.
MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings
ABC OPTIONS:
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
T1: Unknown Option
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats

THE GOOD: The body and paint are good with no issues that I could tell with just a walk around. The motor and trans numbers match with the VIN. The motor sounded good and has been rebuilt. new tti exhaust and gas tank.

THE NOT AS GOOD: There is not a broadcast sheet with the car. I believe the dash bezel and dash pad have been replaced from another car. The speedometer does not look correct for a 1968 since the numbers are vertical and not tilted. Disc brakes were added from a 73 Dart and a bracket was added to frame under the left front tire. The door strikers looked to have been repaired on both doors. The bright work/chrome are showing wear. The motor was painted orange instead of red. The radiator number shows for a non a/c car. This would be a driver quality car probably a #3 condition.

Here are some pics. Im thinking price somewhere in the teens but need some honest opinions on this one...THANKS

Your unknown T1: Unknown Option should be a T7: Tachometer

-
Back