Barracuda grill color?

-

racerdave

Reaction score
So I got some used plastic grill inserts for by 68 Barracuda. My car in pale yellow. I know argent is the original color, but I think a satin black might look good. Curious what colors others have used? Any opinions, pictures would be appreciated. Also wondering is there any coating that can be put on first to make them last, my originals were so brittle.

BTW, you probably posted this in the wrong forum... a 68 isn't an Early A.

Actually, I believe the 68 grills came in two colors -- argent (gray) and black (with the Formula S option). So you could paint them black. I think they had some trim detail -- they weren't 100% black -- you could probably find photos of 68 Formula S cars as a reference.

I don't think there is anything you can do to preserve 40-year-old plastic. Paint is probably better than bare, but that's about it.

hi racerdave...

i finished my 68 fastback in the original turbine bronze but i did paint the grill inserts black rather than the OEM silver/argent. i like the look a little better. here's a pic right before i finished the car.

Attachments

• cuda front end black grills.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 186
two grilles that I know of for 68 both are argent silver.

1) Some, I believe formula-s, had the tips of the grilles chrome (Vacuum Metalized) The chrome ones are actually marked chrome after the part number on the back and are hard to find.
2) All argent.

The chrome on the leading edge of the grilles was part of the Sport Special package. The one that came with the maroon tape filler/stripe between the upper and lower deck lid trims.

Sport Special

It's easy to forget and call it Spring Special. Which it is NOT. Like I just did.

Attachments

• 5806299-Copyof68codes180p6.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 68cudanotch13.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 68cudanotch2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 68cudanotch5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 175
Sport Special

It's easy to forget and call it Spring Special. Which it is NOT. Like I just did.

I painted mine w/ a g/m charcoal metallic about 5 yrs ago, ( just because I had it) they look great .

hi racerdave...

i finished my 68 fastback in the original turbine bronze but i did paint the grill inserts black rather than the OEM silver/argent. i like the look a little better. here's a pic right before i finished the car.

I like that look, leaning in that direction myself, thanks for the pics.

Seems to me that if the radiator and support are blacked out properly, black baskets would nearly disappear.

-
Back