Barrett-Jackson

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
Can you believe what some of the cars sell for?
Now we know what the rich people are doing.

Remember that their is a 8% sellars fee,and a 8% buyers fee as well as the sale price and a 350$ bidders tag,to varifey your account.This is the place to go and see all the people with to much money and nothing else to do.Would love to see some of the big bidders get down and dirty and build a car them selfs,this would be fun to watch.This also kills the market too.It puts prices of parts through the roof and makes it insane for the average guy to buy a great car,or start to collect parts.I guess its great for the guy who had a car in the garage for the longest time and pulls it out and some guy says i give you 500,000$ for that car,and you pay 40,000$ for a sellars fee to BJ,I dont think so fred,no one is worth 40G to sell a car,Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
Remember that their is a 8% sellars fee,and a 8% buyers fee as well as the sale price and a 350$ bidders tag,to varifey your account.This is the place to go and see all the people with to much money and nothing else to do.Would love to see some of the big bidders get down and dirty and build a car them selfs,this would be fun to watch.This also kills the market too.It puts prices of parts through the roof and makes it insane for the average guy to buy a great car,or start to collect parts.I guess its great for the guy who had a car in the garage for the longest time and pulls it out and some guy says i give you 500,000$ for that car,and you pay 40,000$ for a sellars fee to BJ,I dont think so fred,no one is worth 40G to sell a car,Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech,
I agree with every word you said.....

Gotto agree with you, the insanity continues. I think I heard the announcers say the bids card went up to $500 and either the sellers or buyers commission went up to 10%. If it's true it's bloody ridiculous.

Terry

Watched a 59 VW bug conv. go last night go for $42,500 ??? and a 57 Caddy conv. go for $200,000. Crazy !!!

Also saw Wed. night a Lincoln ( hammer down for $66,000) and when they were taking it off the stage a damn set of overhead lights fell down and hit the hood of the car...wouldn't that piss you right off. I'm sure it was taken care of but still would piss me off if I just bought the car. :blackeye:

These auctions tend to drive the prices of regular old cars up too. Sellers will sometimes get stars in their eye's after watching the auction, and want top dollar for junk. Gotta wonder what these cars will go for 10 or maybe 20 years from now though.

If you saw what they want for a piece of junk sitting in a field around here you would know what it has done to the price of cars. When I was looking for a Demon to build I checked out one car that was rusted from the middle of the doors down. He still wanted $2000. I tried to talk him down and he said he new what they were worth and would rather see it go to the crusher than come down in price. What an ***.

I emailed speed about the car that the curtian fell on and I didn't here it referred to on the show.

Jack

mopars0, I saw that and I believe yesterday they said the curtain itself hit the car before the pole did so it didnt hurt it. But still, that was a D'OH move on the workers part.

demonseed you are also right, it did go up to $500 of the bidders card.

Barrett-Jackson is like a divorce with a sexy wife. Yea the woman is beautiful, but dang she is just to high-maitenece for my wallet. The cars are beautiful but just to much cash so you gotta grin and bare it.

P.S. I did want to go to it as a spectator, now you wouldnt find me around there if someone held a gun to me even cause everything is way too expensive. Little toy cars that you can get out of a hot wheels box from walmart go for $200.

Jack, I got a flat bed and few shotguns if you want to get that Duster my friend. You pay for the gas for me to get there though haha.

I emailed speed about the car that the curtian fell on and I didn't here it referred to on the show.

Jack
It was almost to the end of the show maybe in the last half hour that night even the announcers were talking about it. The crazy thing landed right across the hood. The car was a cream colored Lincoln I think?

BoredandStroked said:
mopars0, I saw that and I believe yesterday they said the curtain itself hit the car before the pole did so it didnt hurt it. But still, that was a D'OH move on the workers part.
Well, ya might be right....sure looked like a dent in the hood but again it was on TV and my eye's are not what they once where..... :thumbup:

Tell me about it.
Go look at item #333.1, and then go look at the auction price......

I think I'll keep my car for a couple more years. It has to be worth double what this guy got this year! In two more years I should be able to sell mine for 50K +

I'll save the big spenders the trouble, and offer it for 40K now.....DELIVERED! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sorta like car **** to me....nice looking, and oh man would it be fun to try out...but ugh the maintainence(*as mentioned...) and the prohibitive cost....
that being said...damn nice cars(*and some nice women...:snakeman: ) and a bar to shoot for a out there ride....

any way back to the friday night edition BJ, hehe, had to say it...not like it's gonna happen, i got married....heh heh :banghead:...oh right, Barrett-Jackson...

blinds, 2 cents worth of Seagrams SoapBox

The current bidder fee is 500.00 , The seller fee is 8% and the buyer fee is 10%.

mopars0, It was late at night and I need new glasses anyways so its whoevers best guess in my opinion.

GlowWorm, I agree with you, I have a 70 Chrysler 300 with only a few parts that I need to find. Wait a few years and have some num-skull buy it for 10 times what I put in it.

I agree with Scott on this one, people selling parts or have old rusted hulks sitting on their property think they have a gold mine and are making so the average joe can't build a decent car with without paying through the nose. They think the see through fenders and hood are worth a lot, because a car like that in pristeen condition sold for big dollars on tv. I think someone should tell them what they have is a far cry from what is selling at over inflated prices at BJ. :angry4:

I agree with what everyone's saying but I like watching. I wonder how many guys wake up the next morning kicking themselves? There were a lot of nice Mopar's and some street rods did go for less than they had in them. Craig Jackson must have a tough time counting all that money. If you bid by phone or the internet they get 12% comission from the buyer.

Car **** for sure. Fun to look at but you know you'll never really have it as the price is just to high.

The Good:

1. That one brunette babe who bids for the buyers is smokin'!

2. Nice to see a Mopar sell for more than a Rolls Royce or Porche. That ought to get the ascot and open back glove crowd steaming mad!

3. Reputable rebuilders are making money, which means they are spending money and increasing demand for parts, which should (theoretically) drive down prices and increase availibilty of reproduction parts. Remember, if there is a weak demand, there will be no supply. At one time there were no Year Ones!

4. As Valiant72 said, alot of cars went for far less than what was put into them. I saw a super nice, black, '30 something Ford street rod that was built just the way I would have built it go for $30,000. I'm sure the guy had $50,000 worth of parts in it, not to mention the labor.

5. We won't be treated so much like criminals when were driving our hot rod around. I think that the rising prices may actually give us more respect in the general public's eye (I think the cops might be easier on us too, I hope). Of course the enviroterrorist crowd will always hate us, F 'em.

The Bad:

1. As most everyone said, every beat off with a junker in their garage or field thinks it's worth 10 times it's real value making it tough for us to find a project car.

2. Those same jerks are charging an arm and leg for original resto parts.

3. In '85 I had a chance to buy an original '68 Mustang GT500. It was rusted really bad and the body looked like swiss cheese, but the interior and engine were mint. He wanted $5600 for the car, all I could come up with was $4000 (which was a hell of a lot of money at the time for a rust bucket). He wouldn't come down, I couldn't afford to go up. Damn!

The Ugly:

My eyes are still wet over that '70 Challenger T/A. Damn what a beautiful car and I know that I will never, ever be able to afford one now. :sad:

Come one, You guys dont think that guy got a deal on the 4 million dollar bus ? I hate BJ even more then eBay.

I don't know if this is true, but I was told these cars are kinda like a tax shelter. The taxes on selling or buying the car are less than investing somewhere else. Think about it, when was the last time that you reported your profit on selling a car. I think some of these prices are way inflated. The Wall Street investors are the people who started this. May be a tax loop hole in there . Again, I don't know if any of this is true. It does make you wonder. I do believe it has hurt the hobby for the real car guy. What do you guys think?

I was there at Barret Jackson in AZ a few years ago and it was really fun but the cars are WAY overpriced! There was a lot of unique cars, I saw some cool mopars but a lot of them were not even restored correctly. That overated auction is really driving up the prices! It is a ego :blah5: thing for these rich people to outbid each other and get the crowd fired up when the price gets high. I am glad I went but I probably would'nt go again unless I won the lottery!

mikedevore said:
I don't know if this is true, but I was told these cars are kinda like a tax shelter. The taxes on selling or buying the car are less than investing somewhere else. Think about it, when was the last time that you reported your profit on selling a car. I think some of these prices are way inflated. The Wall Street investors are the people who started this. May be a tax loop hole in there . Again, I don't know if any of this is true. It does make you wonder. I do believe it has hurt the hobby for the real car guy. What do you guys think?

Cars as a commodity. I think you are right on the money. I'm sure most of these pecker heads wouldn't know a six pack from thermoquad.

did anybody see the 1969 Road Runner with 1970 bucket seats & 1970 rear deck spoiler, & big PLYMOUTH decals on the 1/4's? It brought stupid money!

I think B-J screwed up today. They ran that `70 Orange HemiCuda with SEVENTY FOUR original miles at 4:30 this afternoon. Pobably THE finest HemiCuda in exsistance...and it runs in the afternoon. If they ran it at 9-10 tonight it would have surely past the $500,000 it sold for. Granted, 1/2 a million is serious coin, but some one paid 4 million for a bus last year....

Go figure.

-
Back