Basic air cleaner interchange facts?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Anybody have a chart showing which air cleaners fit which carburetors? Are Carter AVS and Carter thermoquad air cleaners similar and interchangeable, is Holley different from Carter AFB, etc.? Thank you.

Anybody have a chart showing which air cleaners fit which carburetors? Are Carter AVS and Carter thermoquad air cleaners similar and interchangeable, is Holley different from Carter AFB, etc.? Thank you.

They all interchange except the 67 down AFB's. All were OEM.

Are you asking about air filter elements or air cleaner housing?

We are discussing air cleaner housings, not elements, thanks for clarifying.

Speaking of elements, after using K&N`s forever I now run the WIX racing filters and zero idle drop when installed compared to a 200 rpm drop w/the standard mega-ply K&N. No joke............

All of the squarebore 4bbls and quadrajets will interchange as far as fitting on the carb throat. I do not have a thermoquad to check to see if it has a 5 1/8" throat, too. Need to watch for clearance on throttle linkage & various vacuum attachments engine may need, especially if working with a non-OEM components.

There was a small round, un-silenced housing used on some 4bbls in the mid-60 (a chrome version was used on the 273-4bbl). It uses the same diameter filter element as a similar vintage 225/6. However, the 4 bbl element is about 1" taller. Using the /6 element allows the top portion of the 4bbl housing to sit lower. It is possible for the housing to rub on the throttle and kickdown linkage, however. When doing this, it is necessary to insure that the carb stud is short enough to not damage the hood, if the carb is on a riser, and that threads will allow the wing nut to snug the assembly to the carburetor.

............A drop base air cleaner bottom will work with a Holley but will not work on Carter/Edelbrock carbs....all the Carter types interchange...kim......

LMAO. I can still remember, in the early seventies, when I bought my pretty much factory stock 64 426. I don't remember what was wrong with the air cleaner, but I bought a typical chrome one at the local speed shop, went out and threw it on there and it rattled around like a marble in a freight car!!!

Yup. "Old" style AFB with the early, smaller air horn

............A drop base air cleaner bottom will work with a Holley but will not work on Carter/Edelbrock carbs....all the Carter types interchange...kim......
I have found a drop base that works on a Carter carb. This is on a Thermoquad. The carb opening is 1 1/8 inch tall. All other drop vases are 1/2 inch tall. The regular base is not a drop base so u can see how much higher it sits. Kim

E7AB4459-E88D-4262-A452-C0C51CC59043.jpeg

921813A0-636D-4E12-95D3-B96DE3A58A8C.jpeg

B6F47698-7965-4506-BB40-21D7AA9C131A.jpeg

E49CC9A8-7518-4503-ACBB-DD0D927C7CB4.jpeg

DB6E80D5-6473-4733-B8C3-99C7B4029999.jpeg

Kim, that drop base is intended for a holley, you can see the areas for the holley cathedral bowl needle and seats. (But I'm sure you know that). Glad that it works on your tq. Because of the raised center flange?

Yes, I knew that, ur I wanted to point out it will work on a Carter/Edelbrock. The noemal1 for a Carter raises the air cleaner that extra amount up so there may not be hood clearance for some combinations. Kim

-
Back