Basic Header install tips for 1st timers

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I'm installing headers on one of my Dusters, thought I'd shoot a video that might help somebody.

Just a comment.. The op didn't say it, but he did it. Always disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery before doing any wrench work on the engine. Also note that he used the factory studs on the front and rear of the cylinder heads. Critical or you will get a coolant leak.
8915-nneyieqtihc1lyfi6v6ccf7n2x4hrrrcxdycq3nw1k.jpg
I also recommend some type of locking fastener to eliminate gasket leaks. Good video.

Just a comment.. The op didn't say it, but he did it. Always disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery before doing any wrench work on the engine. Also note that he used the factory studs on the front and rear of the cylinder heads. Critical or you will get a coolant leak.
View attachment 1715311038 I also recommend some type of locking fastener to eliminate gasket leaks. Good video.
thanks, and along these added tips I'll also add sometimes a minor ding might be needed for clearance - - - perhaps around the torsion bar or steering linkage. I didn't ding the drivers side at all, but I've installed headers that I've needed a small ding or two.

Great video.

On my 69 barracuda the driver side had to go up about 3 inches. I additionally removed the upper hose at the radiator, drain enough coolant so the fins show inside the tank then pull the hose. Also I removed the distributor cap so not to damage it, this also gets the plug wires out and away. I did have to disconnect the tie rods at the drag link. And if your jacking the passenger side watch the gas tank line going to the pump, it may get tight. I wrapped the header tubes with saran wrap several layers deep, this is great in reducing scraps and greasy hand prints. After installation is complete clean the grease off with Simple Green or the orange stuff and rinse well with water. Tti 340 headers

Last edited:
Since I'm installing headers on one of my Dusters, thought I'd shoot a video that might help somebody.

Excellent! Love your video's. Certainly not my first, but my first set of Doug's going on soon. How would you amend this if the engine is out? Wire, bungee them up? Would you need to dis-assemble the steering, starter etc? Thanks!

Excellent! Love your video's. Certainly not my first, but my first set of Doug's going on soon. How would you amend this if the engine is out? Wire, bungee them up? Would you need to dis-assemble the steering, starter etc? Thanks!
Installing headers before installing motor is the best way. Yes, bungee them out of the way. No, leave the steering in tach as Doug's go above the center link.

Just let ya see the results. The jegs exhaust hooked up nice. ..... 1 minute video

-
Back