Basic shift kit

-
First off, the 1-2 shift cannot overlap. 1st gear is the rear clutch, 2nd gear is the rear clutch and front band. The 1-2 shift simply applies the front band.

The 2-3 shift can over lap, but this can be "fixed" even without a shift kit. By design, the 2-3 shift applies the front clutch while it FORCES the band to "unapply". This allows the apply pressure to stay present, so any call for "kickdown" gets the snap you need to pass another car. By restricting the apply passage to the clutch, and opening the "unapply" passage to the band, the split second timing of the two events gets better sequencing. Most shift kits have this modification included. If your shift kit does not at least have the metal template to do the drilling for the "unapply" passage, select another shift kit.

First off, the 1-2 shift cannot overlap. 1st gear is the rear clutch, 2nd gear is the rear clutch and front band. The 1-2 shift simply applies the front band.

It can if you manually shift it. I know this for a fact because I had a 93 Dakota with a 518 that did it real bad after I installed a Turbo-action shift kit. I reasearched the problem and found my answer from Trans-go corp. The rear band servo on most torqueflites have 2 springs on it and they counteract each other when the band is releasing causing it to still be on for a little while after the front band is applied. I have no idea what Mopar was trying to accomplish when they designed it that way. The high performance torqueflites had one of the springs blocked and don't do it but the grocery getter and truck trans. have 2 springs. The Trans-go kits come with a spacer to replace one of the springs to eliminate that problem.

Another vote for Trans-Go!

I've had great luck with Fairbanks kits. Always positive and crisp. Never had an overlap problem. They run about $175 or so. I think I still have a few in the shop. I was the dealer for them for about 10 yrs. and never had a problem. I'm sure I still have some for 350s, powerglides, and 727s.

It can if you manually shift it. I know this for a fact because I had a 93 Dakota with a 518 that did it real bad after I installed a Turbo-action shift kit. I reasearched the problem and found my answer from Trans-go corp. The rear band servo on most torqueflites have 2 springs on it and they counteract each other when the band is releasing causing it to still be on for a little while after the front band is applied. I have no idea what Mopar was trying to accomplish when they designed it that way. The high performance torqueflites had one of the springs blocked and don't do it but the grocery getter and truck trans. have 2 springs. The Trans-go kits come with a spacer to replace one of the springs to eliminate that problem.

The rear band has a cushioning set up which is supposed to be for driver comfort. If the bands are set properly, the possibility of overlap is very slim. There is a spacer that can eliminate any possibility of this.

The rear band has a cushioning set up which is supposed to be for driver comfort. If the bands are set properly, the possibility of overlap is very slim. There is a spacer that can eliminate any possibility of this.

That's right it is for comfort and just like other design decisions they made for comfort it can cause a problem in a performance application if not set up properly. And you might be right that the chance of it overlapping might be slim but there's still the chance. I had one that overlapped terribly (as stated above) on the 1st to 2nd shift no matter how the rear band was adjusted. The only way to correct it completely was to install the spacer to eliminate one of the springs.

-
Back