Battery Cable Sizing

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I need help on sizing the battery cable. Im not mounting it in the trunk but keeping it under the hood. I have the option for a 4ga. or a 2ga. wire. Is there any benefit to running the 2ga, or is it just wasting money.

Using a larger gauge of wire for the starter is not a waste of money IMHO but with the new starters (gear reduction type) it is not really needed. It's only when you are "pushing the limits" will you appreciate the larger gauge wire. eg, high performance engine in the summer months.

2 ga sounds like not only a waste of money, but unnecessary weight. Some people run thick welding cable for grounds and such, but over-design can be bad too. Your factory starter wire was 6 awg as I recall. That works fine, and even more so if you use a mini-starter, which is another way to save weight.

small wire = voltage drop which is BAD.

I never use 2 ga wire for starter cable with a trunk mount system. I run min of 1/0. Weight considerations are not significant, IMO. Unless you must get the weight to an absolute minimum for class rules, etc.

WiresizingchartBW.jpg

Up and back length needs to be considered.

A larger diameter cable has less resistance.

I usually increase a gauge over stock just to make sure that it's ok. I like to let the fuses do their job instead of the wires....

The weight question

12 ft of 2/0 is about 4.8 pounds
12 ft of 2 gauge is about 2.4 pounds

Not a big deal IMO.

Thank you for the input! Im only keeping it in the engine bay and weight is not a issue I just want the best option for the cable with out the overkill. Oh and as or the amps of my system.. Heck I dont know. Stock alternator and electrical.

I believe it will be less than 56" where Im choosing to run the cable.

I thought it said trunk.

IMO, If you have 2 ga run it.

Just buy made up "6v" store bought cables. These are generally 1 ga

With a mild engine and especially with a mini starter no4 is "just fine."

-
Back