Battery Cable to Starter?

-
Whatever you can get to fit. It a short run so 4-2 would probably be easy.

"Somebody" was bitchin on this board that "you can't get a simple answer." Well this is a GREAT example.

1...Trunk or front mount battery? You would not likely get away with 4ga to the trunk

2....What engine? A high compression B/RB/ hemi is not gonna like little wire

3....Old school Mopar starter or moderm mini/ permanent magnet? Modern starters draw WAY less current than the old original "wound field" starters

If this is a simple front mount battery / average 318/360 street engine, 4ga would work fine, but for very little more money you can buy larger cable, and I would

Thanks to all, I appreciate the advice, It is a 360, modern mini, battery up front. It is a 2 gauge with corrosion at the starter lug, I am going to pull it and see if can be cleaned up and put a new lug on it. If not I will make up a new one.

They reproduce that section of harness for not alot of money, I bought one for my duster for like $30.

It looked the same as factory, I think I bought it from Summit Racing, its been a few years now, but it was identical to the factory one, had the solenoid wire and battery terminal.

It looked the same as factory, I think I bought it from Summit Racing, its been a few years now, but it was identical to the factory one, had the solenoid wire and battery terminal.
Thanks.

2 GA is always better than 4 ga to the starter from battery.

I make them out of 1/0 welding cable.

A lot of "Starter" issues are from the miniscule 4ga cables the factory used and corrosion.

Starter is the heaviest draw item in the car, bigger is always better on the cable

I was looking at my 66 engine compartment wiring diagram and it shows A1 as a 6B RED from battery to post to starter. Thanks

-
Back