Battery expanded from charging

-

kustom2k1

Reaction score
I purchased a period correct battery from Antique Auto Battery. Not cheap and its been in the car for 14 months. I've probably charged it with the CTEK 3300 eight to ten cycles. Wondering what would cause the battery to expand like it did. I use the CTEK on my other cars and this is the first time I've had an issue.

Anyone have experience when dealing with the above mentioned company on a battery warranty issue? Thanks for any input.

Sorry I can't help with the warranty issues. In another life time when we charged batteries we removed the caps to vent the cells while charging. The acid "boils" while charging even on slow rate. I know this don't help you with your issue but I believe that's what caused the swelling.

How often do you charge the battery? I deal with lead acid batteries on a weekly
basis in the electrical distribution substations I maintain and swelling like that happens when
a battery is left uncharged. The plates start to grow in them. Not saying you don't charge your battery but the worst thing
you can do to a battery is not keeping it fully charged

i live in S.Florida and no freezing issues. I charge the battery normally, the week I plan to take the car for a ride, I charge the battery. I take the car out every month for a few miles.

I put the charger on, everything seemed fine till I tried to fire her up and all she did was tick (dead battery sound). I never let the battery go completely dead, if I cranked her to start and it sounded weak, I would charge it.

Is it possible your fancy Swedish bikini charger has something wrong with it, and has OVER charged it?

It's getting ready to blow, step back.

it's a defective battery, or somewhere along the way it could have been stored improperly.

actually extreme heat is an enemy of batteries, also. if left to bake in the sun it will damage them. same thing if you leave a cell phone on the dash of a car in the summer.

Is it possible your fancy Swedish bikini charger has something wrong with it, and has OVER charged it?

Is it Swedish? I thought EVERYTHING is now made in China.

I use the Swedish bikini on other batteries without issues.

Moparlover, I'm thinking the battery was/is defective but, its never been stored in the sun and the car is always garaged.

I've seen that more often than I'd like to admit,,

someone puts a batt charger on a dead batt, on full charge, and forgets it, till you get a sniff of sulphur,, and find the battery has been cooked,, (hot)..

The caps are vented, so pressure shouldn't have been an issue..

Could it have been the charger ??

I'm sure its not the charger since I charge all my cars with the same charger and this is a first. Going to contact the battery company and see what they say. My only concern is the battery could have popped and more than likely would have cost $$$$ to repair the aftermath.

Batteries like to be used. I am a firm believer that "if you don't use it you lose it". If you have a few cars that you don't drive that much, you said you take it out once a month for a few miles, why not have just one battery and transfer from one car to another to keep the battery on it's toes ?

Thats a great suggestion iw378. Going to look into the feasibility.

Look at new batteries verse old batteries. The plates made now are thinner than the plates made in 1974. It seems to me the cases are thinner also. The next time at Wal-Mart, do the Charmin test on the old style Batteries. Be careful or you will have acid on you.

As for being "period correct". I would say that is in appearance only. Not the plate count, the case thickness, or the materials used in making the cases.

Mike

"Period correct", your statement is true my friend. I like the look compared to a interstate battery.

Mine did the same thing. Still works just fine. I think it was a little bowed out from the very beginning. It's about 14 months old...never been discharged. Last winter as well as right now, it's on a maintainer. Both times the car was driven before storage so the battery had a full charge before being placed on the maintainer.

If the battery does crap out, just cut the bottom out of it, gut it, and install a smaller battery inside the case.

If you decide to buy a new one, look up Fred Gilmore. He has the best prices I've seen.($219 shipped 14 months ago)

Budar, cutting the bottom out, thank you for sharing a great idea. I'm hesitant to use the battery any longer. I will contact Mr. Fred Gilmore since I love the look of the battery. Thanks again to all for offering your suggestions and connections.
Ed.

-
Back