Battery Ground?

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the battery terminals on the '70 Newport and the Barracuda. I just finished doing the Newport and started on the Barracuda when I noticed that there is only one ground wire to the engine. I looked and both our Newport's have two ground wires, one big one to the engine and one little one to the body itself. Is there suposed to be another ground wire to the body on the Barracuda? Just want to know if I have to add another wire before I finish putting the terminals on. Thanks

I don't have the actual explanation for this other than my 64 Riviera has that little wire as well while none of my other cars do (and I have a bunch) so I'm pretty sure it isn't necessary on your cuda. If I'm wrong I'm sure we'll know in a hurry, nothing gets people commenting more than disagreeing about something :mrgreen:

It depends on the vehicle. Some more grounds can't hurt. I tell everyone
when the put the battery in the trunk. The more grounds the merrier.
It helps for all the circits to prevent overloading.

You can't have enough grounds. That braided wire is useless. Get an old battery cable, solder on an eyelete, then bolt it from engine to kframe.

On my cuda the big ground went directly to the engine (for the starter draw) and the little one went to the inner wheel well right below starter relay. _ Purpose is to ground everything interior wise so youre instruments dont go searching for ground thru your gas guage or temp guage. Some peeps go from engine to motor mount then jump over the rubber mount to frame side then to neg on battery- I dont recommend it but it does work. You haven't lived until you see your choke cables glow bright red from acting like a ground cable :butthead:

On small block engines (look at the front of the driver's side head) these bolt holes are obviously on the driver's side REAR. This is a great place to attach a no4 "starter cable" which you can buy at any parts store, about a foot long, and hook the other end to one of the master cylinder bolts.

Not sure where a convenient bolt is on a BB/ RB, but probably similar

The small ground to the core support was added to later models.
67/68 Barracudas didn't have one. Adding it can only help to ground path to lighting, etc..

-
Back