battery neg

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Where does the neg cable bolt to, on the engine or frame. Also where would the ground strap be located?

Evan

Ground strap is right side of firewall near heater hoses to rear of right head. Battery ground cable goes to engine block , below left head, behind power steering pump.

Where does the neg cable bolt to, on the engine or frame. Also where would the ground strap be located?

Evan

I just rewired my car with a Ron Francis wiring kit. They recommend that the negative battery cable should be run to a starter or transmission mounting bolt. They also recommend that the frame and body ground should be run to the same starter or transmission mounting bolt.

Good Luck!

Ground strap is right side of firewall near heater hoses to rear of right head. Battery ground cable goes to engine block , below left head, behind power steering pump.

Do you have a pic of this

Far FAR more important about "just where" it goes is "just what" it does.

You want the main battery neg ground hooked to the block/ transmission because on startup, THAT is where the heaviest current the car ever uses will be seen---by the starter.

The ground strap from the engine/ transmission to the body/ frame transfers the neg. ground side of the circuit to accessories such as lights, stereo, AS WELL AS tying the voltage regulator CASE (ground) AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE (in voltage) to battery negative.

The more 'stuff' you have---high current lamps, AC blower, rear defroster, big big stereo, etc, etc, the bigger this ground strap needs to be

ALSO it often helps for radio noise---and in this day and age---this "noise" is also present in ways "you cannot hear" ---that is--- the r.f. noise can affect gauges in newer systems, electronic ignition and E.F.I. and other control systems.

So you may need multiple ground straps from the engine to the frame, and on conventional autos, a couple of sort straps back near the rear of the hood to the firewall.

Far FAR more important about "just where" it goes is "just what" it does.

You want the main battery neg ground hooked to the block/ transmission because on startup, THAT is where the heaviest current the car ever uses will be seen---by the starter.

The ground strap from the engine/ transmission to the body/ frame transfers the neg. ground side of the circuit to accessories such as lights, stereo, AS WELL AS tying the voltage regulator CASE (ground) AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE (in voltage) to battery negative.

The more 'stuff' you have---high current lamps, AC blower, rear defroster, big big stereo, etc, etc, the bigger this ground strap needs to be

ALSO it often helps for radio noise---and in this day and age---this "noise" is also present in ways "you cannot hear" ---that is--- the r.f. noise can affect gauges in newer systems, electronic ignition and E.F.I. and other control systems.

So you may need multiple ground straps from the engine to the frame, and on conventional autos, a couple of sort straps back near the rear of the hood to the firewall.

Excellent post, right to the point!

I just rewired my car with a Ron Francis wiring kit. They recommend that the negative battery cable should be run to a starter or transmission mounting bolt. They also recommend that the frame and body ground should be run to the same starter or transmission mounting bolt.

Good Luck!

Thats the way its done today. The engineers discovered some faults related to current or positive and negative ions traveling through the engine parts.

-
Back