Battery relocation- Does anyone know of an actual hydrogen sulfide explosion incident?

-
Yes, age 16 putting jumper cable. Spark blew it up like a bomb. Broke/lacerated the thumb holding the clamp, thought it blew my face off but when I ran inside it was a face full of acid. Luckily I was wearing glasses. Learned early.

Back to the trunk thing. This is how I'm doing it with duals. AGM, vent kit, vacuum T, grommets in existing holes.

LMCL3532.JPG
ORCO6429.JPG

FVNT0115.JPG

I don't have a picture of it but I did have my previous trunk battery start to bulge and leak a bit out of one side post. I may not have caught it if it weren't for the leak.

I've seen a few happen on personal watercraft....

I'm not against trunk mounting but you can bet your buns I'd use a heavy duty strap, full enclosure, and plenty of venting.

I would hate to picture something rolling over in the trunk and shorting out either the battery or relay.

Had one go off in my face after we charged the battery and then took a terminal off to troubeshoot a short, I got lucky for sure, was back in the early 80's no eye wash stations back then just a slop sink.

if it was like my incident with two b-52 batteries in the A.F. , the mop sink didnt help much !

Dont even want to go into C-130 batteries, the used to be dangerous conditioning them.

Is go with an optimal. I mowed a guys lawn using his GE electrical Rider. One day it wouldnt start so i jumped it. The entire top of the battety blew off. It had been sitting for a week.

I finally got around to relocating my battery to the trunk. Obviously, I followed the instructions which called for a ventilation tube to prevent a buildup of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is generated when the system is charging the battery.

It got me thinking though. Does anyone know of an actual incident when somebody’s trunk exploded from improper ventilation?

I don’t doubt that it could happen but it also seems extraordinarily rare. This could be a symptom of everyone properly ventilating their system but something tells me that’s not the only reason cars aren’t exploding from H2S2.

Also, how long does hydrogen sulfide stick around? It makes me wonder if my old bench seat is an explosive hazard… :D

I had an 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 and it was designed with a 50:50 weight distribution with the trans axle in the rear with the disc brakes inboard not at the wheels, the battery was also in the back under the hatchback. So as the battery got older and before it went dead on me, I was wondering what the hell that smell was coming from. Smelled like rotten eggs with a hint of battery acid, very sharp smelling. Then the battery went dead, got a new one and never smelled that again. In other words, the hydrogen sulfide gas won't blow anything up but, will make you wish you had a vent and will tell you your battery is about to puke .

69 you need to look up hydrogen sulfide. It is extremely flammable. You were lucky the concentration wasn't correct and no spark.

Dad jumped someone's else's vehicle once and the battery exploded (no-one injured). I wasn't there so I don't know if the cables were attached backwards or if it was a small spark made by not connecting the last cable to the block (or other area) more distant from the battery.

I had a Sears Die-Hard in the trunk of my '65 Valiant Bracket racer which was "enclosed" in a plastic battery cover with lid, but it was not vented to the outside. Fortunately, never had an issue (see photo).

box.jpeg

I've seen a few happen on personal watercraft....

I'm not against trunk mounting but you can bet your buns I'd use a heavy duty strap, full enclosure, and plenty of venting.

I would hate to picture something rolling over in the trunk and shorting out either the battery or relay.
I used this box on my car trailer, I plan on using another one on my drag car.

Taylor Cable 48100 Taylor Battery Boxes | Summit Racing

My wife's 2012 Durango RT has the battery under the passenger seat also.
My 2019 Ram has it under the hood, like God intended. :lol:

I had a battery going bad, dead cell in the morning, but if i charged it good, it would work all day.
Sitting with it in a gas station after putting gas in, i tried to start it. The battery blew up, LOUD bang.
The cop who was pulling out of the station, jumped out of his car and pointed his gun at me.
So did the gas station attendant.
I guess the blown open hood kept them from shooting me.....

Had a tractor battery blow on Me, not that old, and the very visable reputable brand. Did not want to take a charge, in a tractor that never drained batteries, next attempt to start and bang! Split the case, obviously had a defect, probably a weak/cracked cell bridge. Battery just sitting on My buddy's trailer, used for winch duty, bang! Out of nowhere. I have multiple stories of these, and even Optimas melting down to know this; it is foolish to not vent the battery/box because those gasses are extremely explosive....and batteries, even top quality ones, can F-up. And I have run a trunk mounted battery in a street ride, w/a nitrous bottle keeping it company, chew on that scenario for a sec.......

I worked at a gas station years ago back when we still pumped gas and checked oil (mid 80s). I had left a battery on charge when I left at 4 oclock, and came back 3-4 hours later, the kids working night shift were choking on the fumes. hey said "oh is that what that smell is" anyway I think the fumes are what causes an explosion, the battery was bad and trying to charge it caused fumes. i remember thinking "that could have ben bad.

I have a customer with trunk mounted battery and fuel pump. I dislike both. Relays in trunk,trunk light make it a high risk. Its coming for a fall project, think i will try to convince him that original mounting locations are safer.
You'd hate my Dart then... 10 lb nitrous bottle, aluminum fuel cell straddling the spare tire well (fuel pump mounted in there), two large solenoids (one for starter, one for car power), and the battery :p
(I did install a sheet steel firewall, the battery is enclosed, and everything is vented outside the trunk). :)

BTW I have three older BMWs. The '93's battery is under the back seat; the '97 and '98 have them in the trunk. They came that way from the factory by the millions (literally, 1.3 million E34 chassis alone). Doesn't seem to be a problem for the Germans!

Had a 8D battery in a Autocar Constructor explode while jump starting it. Blew the top off the battery sounded like a shotgun blast. Got no acid on me because the battery box was under the cab above the fuel tank.

You'd hate my Dart then... 10 lb nitrous bottle, aluminum fuel cell straddling the spare tire well (fuel pump mounted in there), two large solenoids (one for starter, one for car power), and the battery :p
(I did install a sheet steel firewall, the battery is enclosed, and everything is vented outside the trunk). :)

BTW I have three older BMWs. The '93's battery is under the back seat; the '97 and '98 have them in the trunk. They came that way from the factory by the millions (literally, 1.3 million E34 chassis alone). Doesn't seem to be a problem for the Germans!
Theres no problem if its done right. But if i had my way, that stuff would be in the open air.

Battery explosions are real.... When I had my biz on a Sunday morning I came in to do some work. As I was working there were little pieces of plastic here and there and I couldn't connect the dots. For whatever reason I went to go get the Forklift and when I did the ignition was dead as a Hammer. And then it clicked.... The battery exploded.

Keep in mind this was a 24 series battery encased by the metal of the lift and it literally sent shards of plastic everywhere in an area probably 50X50. So yes, batteries under the wrong conditions are real problem. Treat it as such IMO....

JW

The insights and stories are valuable here. Thanks to all for sharing this.

You definitely want to vent that stuff out of the trunk. Does your car have a firewall between the trunk area and back seat?

The kit is an NHRA Legal sealed box that I bought from Summit. The battery is anchored with a substantial bracket that goes through the box, through the floor of the trunk. I believed this was enough. Are you saying that people who install trunk mounted batteries also install an sheet metal firewall? If so, I've never seen it...not saying there isn't a good reason to have one.

With this statement in the OP, I'd say no firewall.

I was talking about all that hydrogen sulfide that is probably trapped in the seat cushion...
Doesn't anyone appreciate a good fart joke anymore? :D

I also have my fuel cell in the trunk, which does require a sheet metal firewall (min. .032 steel or .040 aluminum) for NHRA tech. Not sure about only a trunk-mounted battery.

-
Back