Battery relocation- Does anyone know of an actual hydrogen sulfide explosion incident?

-
I also have my fuel cell in the trunk, which does require a sheet metal firewall (min. .032 steel or .040 aluminum) for NHRA tech. Not sure about only a trunk-mounted battery.

That makes sense with the fuel cell. A quick Google search came up with this quote supposedly from the NHRA rule book:

"Any battery MUST BE mounted in a SEALED NHRA APPROVED battery box IF the car does not have a SEALED FIREWALL from the driver compartment to the trunk"

So the sealed battery box has me covered in terms of the rule. It doesn't mean that a firewall isn't a good idea though.

Also think about what that corrosive gas might do your interior over the long run. I think I'd want any trunk mounted battery inside a heavy metal box. And obviously, properly vented, and robustly mounted.

I have had a couple cars with trunk mounted fuel cells, fuel pumps and batteries. Both definitely had aluminum firewalls between the trunk and passenger compartment. A box is then not required, but a very strong battery mount IS! My hold downs are welded to the battery tray (j-hooks are not legal) and the tray is thru bolted to the frame, not just the trunk floor.
The trunk mount battery also requires a rear shut off, and since moronic nhra rulez mandate it on the stupid (pos) side, I had to have a solenoid to shut off the one-wire alternator.

upload_2021-8-17_10-16-30.png

Never seen 3/8" J hooks. For cars anyway...
A welded closed 1/4" J hook or a 3/8 bolt ... big difference in strength .

Reading that rule above ... I can't tell if I can use welded J hooks in the trunk or only with OEM located batteries?

Last edited:
Can't you run the 'one wire' to a 4 post shut-off switch ?a

Where did you read about the 'no J hooks rule' ?
Probably could have used a four post.... but I didn't want to. I use a rod actuated switch, with a small hole thru the rear valence, with a knob.
I use a 3/8 steel shaft welded to the battery tray, die threaded ends for nuts for a steel hold-down.
And nobody has ever checked, or at least I don't KNOW anybody has checked, but I have a carpeted over 1/16 aluminum panel on the package shelf as well as the firewall panel behind the rear seat.

Last edited:
-
Back