Battery terminal Question

-

scottylack

Reaction score
my battery clamps are pretty bad on the 65 Barracuda... this one is crumbling apart... should I just cut this one off the negative feed and replace it like I did to the positive????
Is this actually lead solder that forms the head? If thats so i wonder if I could just melt some lead into the cracks and reform it?
Or just cut this old one off and replace it like i did the positive?

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 188
Yep, I'd cut it off and replace it. Not to criticize, but I'd also redo the solderless connector on the positive wires so that the exposed wires are inside the connector.

I don't know what your plans are for the car, but now may be a good time to think about adapting over to trunk mounted battery as well, if you plan to do any racing.

You can buy new solder--on terminals, but the problem may be a couple of things----

First of course you need to know how to solder, and these take a LOT of heat. You can do it with a propane torch, but you must be careful not to ruin the cable insulation

Sometimes if you cut the cable back to get into "clean" copper, it will be too short

The big problem is, on an old / corroded cable, often the corrosion goes so far back into the conductor that you really cannot clean it up.

I don't like the clamp--on terminals, but I have "been known" to use them.

I would not attempt to repair your existing terminal. Seems like an excercise in futility, or "how Homer learned the 'doh' word," LOL.

For less than $150 I got a concours correct positive and negative battery cable set from M&H out in CA for my 65 Dart.

thanks...anybody spray their relays and stuff w any kind of anti cortrosine protection?ith

The terminal you have used on the positive cable is about the least expensive ( piece of junk ) available. Another identical to it probably wont tighten to the smaller diameter negative post on your battery either.
Impost builders proved a copper alloy terminal is much more reliable, thus domestic mfgrs have went to that as well.
If you have a parts yard nearby you can get nice cables with the modern ends on them that fit todays battery posts for cheap.
When I went to a parts yard for a mini starter I choose a Dakota p/u and took cables and all.

The terminal you have used on the positive cable is about the least expensive ( piece of junk ) available. Another identical to it probably wont tighten to the smaller diameter negative post on your battery either.
Impost builders proved a copper alloy terminal is much more reliable, thus domestic mfgrs have went to that as well.
If you have a parts yard nearby you can get nice cables with the modern ends on them that fit todays battery posts for cheap.
When I went to a parts yard for a mini starter I choose a Dakota p/u and took cables and all.

Recycled would surely be less expensive, but the factory sheet metal battery terminals I've seen around do NOT impress.
Not sure if I saw those on a MOPAR, but financial corners WILL be cut.
The cables I mentioned above have the terminals properly sized to fit the smaller negative post, and they're copper alloy. Other makers likely have similar products.
It all starts with the battery, and giving those electrons nice wide and clean paths out and back in can't hurt. Mine are 2/0! Overkill beats no kill every time....

ATB

BC

-
Back