BB 383 509 cam-What intake and carb should be used?

-

spook

Spook
Reaction score
Hey everyone here is the problem i am having, im rebuilding a BB 383 engine to shove in my 67 barracuda fastback. The shortblock is together, ported and polished 452 heads with headers. I am wondering what combination of Cam to intake should be used, single plane or double, what cfm? That sort of stuff. If you really want your mind picked, what kind of advance or retard is usually needed to time this camshaft to the crank (.509 cam) to optimize performance? My chain is a double roller with a 2 degree range on the cam and a 4 degree range on the crank. Thanks everybody, any imput helps

I ran this cam in a 440 with ported iron heads. For a hydraulic cam it's pretty radical. It's going to want the single plane intake and a loose converter. I'd personally go with a 850 or 950 carb, at least a 2 inch header and 4.10 or steeper gears.

I hope you have high compression to run that cam. My 383 is 9.25:1 and i think that a 284-.484 is too big.

Spook, I find that stright up is the best starting point and not a bad place to leave it at. The slight degrees only seem to help most when raceing for the money.

On a street ride, fully dressed and weight, I would do a RPM and a vacuum 750. This also assumes the rest of the car is street/strip geared like the cam is.
Iron headed engines can push the 10-1 with some race fuel blended for best results. I hope theres 93 near by. Otherwise, better to have a little less ratio than to much. Even 9.0-1 will get the job done.
The purple cams like compresion.

I run a comp .509 with .248/.248 in my belvedere. Edelbrock 88 heads, eddy dual plane and 750 holly. lots of low end torque. will easily turn 6500 rpm on a stock bottom end, this works well with the 4 spd and 323 hwy gears.

-
Back