bb dart radiator identification/ fan shroud question

-
Reaction score
Hello,
Building 67 Dart 383 4 speed car. Bought this radiator at a swap meet last year. Now its time to install it. I believe the guy said it was off of 67-68 bb cuda auto, who knows? Although I would like to know? Looking for a fan shroud that would be acceptable for my application. This rad seems to be in good shape 26" fits nice in rad support opening. Have a 7 blade (no clutch) 18" Dia. fan. There are 2 sets of numbers on top of rad tank. 20446 and 4089 567. The dimension of holdown screws are as follows. 26 3/8" horizontally 12 3/8" vertically. Not opposed to weldding new steel tabs on rad or doing a little fiberglass work on rad shroud but would like something looking original. Here are some mockup photos. There is a 1" spacer between pump and fan and another 1 3/4" to rad. Not sure how close is to close or how far away?

O.K. post scrip. This is my first build; second thread and I just feel like I went 10 rounds with my computer to get this info posted. Please be merciful with comments and criticisms welcome.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Derek

20231112_103722.jpg

20231112_104001.jpg

20231112_103952 (1).jpg

20231112_103946.jpg

bare painted engine bay.jpg

fan.jpg

rad fan pass side.jpg

rad fan driver side.jpg

engine shot large.jpg

Are you looking for OEM correct parts?

If so that rad is not.

There is a 67 ( one-year only) shroud but the 68-69 will work and is reproduced.

The BB rad vs the SB rad are the same 22", the difference is the outlet diameter and perhaps the number of cores.

Look at US Radiator and you can see the in / out size difference.

Go to mymopar.com and download the 67 parts book.

It will list the correct radiator numbers.

In a nut shell, 67-69 had a round top rad, 70 up had the square top like the one you have

you will also need to look at the side the outlet is on ( SB at least switched sides in 70, not sure if BB did the same)

I am not so concerned about oem correct. Just something that looks relatively stock.
I also realize that there will be some plumbing issues the lower hose off pump is on driver side
lower hole in rad is on passenger side.
I was thinking of some stainless with short rad hose pieces to connect them.
I built this to get driver side exhaust out.
Something like this.

snake.jpg

snake1.jpg

went to mymopar.com it seems that this radiator is off a 78/79 diesel truck. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Thanks for introducing me to the world of mopar parts # decoding.
Have been banging my head against a wall looking them up.

Your car you do what you want, but a 67 -69 rad would make your life so much easier.

If you must use the truck rad, a rad shop can move the outlet to the correct size and make sure the in and out are the correct diameters

Here is the 67 part number for the 383 in a Dart (L) and Barracuda (B)

PXL_20231114_160850457~2.jpg

Note there is only a standard cooling option as PS and AC were not options in 67

I forgot to mention earlier. There was one shroud for all V8s

went to mymopar.com it seems that this radiator is off a 78/79 diesel truck. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Thanks for introducing me to the world of mopar parts # decoding.
Have been banging my head against a wall looking them up.
That's probably correct.
Here's some clues for next time.
The radiator you have is a "square top", it looks fairly wide and the part number is fairly high.
The radiator you really want will be a "bubble top",22" wide, and the part number, Dana has posted.
You can also use any big block radiator from 68 or 69. The difference is the fan shroud fit between 67 and the two following years.

The matching fan may have a little cutout at the tip of each fan blade. I haven't studied the big block fans to be sure of that.

My experience as been the square top a-body radiators are about 1/2" or an 1" taller than their earlier counterparts. Enough differences its worth the trouble to start with a bubble top if you can.

Here's a photo of a 383 with a bubble top at Carlisle 2019.
1700055513088.png

I do not know of the fan is correct or not but it fits.

I have a 69 big block radiator in my 67.
Those aluminum ebay radiators are good, I have one, might be US Radiators, don't recall.

Iirc, Hayden 2947 low profile fan clutch, Derale 18" fan, stock rad, 180 stat, no shroud, no room for a shroud really.

383, zero temp issues. Did this years ago, I looked at my summit account and it's either too far back to find the exact order with part #s or I just can't locate.

20201208_132058.jpg

Lots of ways to skin the cat when building a hot rod. That radiator can be made to work but it might be cheaper in the long run to start with something that is closer to what you need. I used a C body radiator in my Duster because I had it, and I wanted to keep the engine cool. I had to do a bunch of work to make it fit but in the end it came out nice. I used the factory shroud as well as the big C body clutch fan.

DSC_3215 (Large).JPG

DSC_4078 (Large).JPG

-
Back