BB for SB...Your opinions please.

-

cgray521

Reaction score
I picked up a 78 440 out of a Dodge truck...127k miles, running great. Motor is pretty clean and ran on propane its entire life. Given the pricing for headers, oil pan, linkages, cooling, trans, etc., I was thinking of ditching the BB idea and possibly finding someone to trade a decent SB for the 440. O really want the 67 Valiant on the road this coming spring. There is no way my budget will allow the BB. I really wanted it that way but driving the car is more important at this point and I can upgrade maybe next winter. So do you think I should try to swap? Is my 440 of enough value to get a decent ready-to-go SB in trade?

Attachments

• valiant and reunion 013.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 236
  • engine stand.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 226
Probably not, but you never know. It might get a slightly better stock 360. Doesn't hurt to ask around, though.

Since you asked, i'm gonna agree with Jim Lusk. I've torn down a few propane engines years ago and most were spotless in the crankcase, pistons and ports. From the pics your engine doesn't look even close to the ones i've seen. I wonder if decent maintenance was done over it's lifespan? Not that anything is wrong with it, just not what i would expect from a propane engine. It definetely has value, but probably the same as any other 440 with that many miles. I agree, shop it around and see what feedback you get. You could always try to hang onto it for next winter? Good Luck.

Thanks RIck and Jim. I appreciate the input. I think it was so dirty externally cause it came out of a toy. this truck was offroad only in the latter parts of its life. I was able to look past the grime and mud when I looked a bit closer though. The oil was clean, the filter was recent, VC gaskets were newer, etc., so I believe he did good maintenance, just crappy housekeeping. I may try to hold on to it, I guess. Just depends if I can find a decent affordable SB along the way. We are on 'shoestring' budget to say the very least. That's why I have to do everything in-house and lots of junkyard parts. But I love the car and think its worth the effort.

I'm HUGE on using junkyard parts. I always have enjoyed the yard search. The 440 in my son's Dart was a yard find back in '94.

Personally, I think you would be happier with a small block, but that is just me. I have had both and the small block is enough power. The 440 will either roast the tires in all gears or will be detuned to the point that a small block will be equal to it without the weight or fitment hassle. You can get a pulled 318 for peanuts on craigslist, 360 for more, but a 318 in a light car like yours can be fun too with the right gear.

I've always been a small block A body guy so my opinion won't help much but I'll throw my two cents in.

A used 440 in decent shape should be good trade bait for a solid 360. When buying ANY used engine, unless you know the guy, it should be considered a core to be rebuilt. I bought a used 300/360 crate motor last summer for $300. The guy guaranteed it to be a "kick *** little hot rod motor". I'm glad I tore it apart...

Put an ad up on your local Craigslist describing your engine with some good pics and tell people what you are wanting to do. Then search CL EVERYDAY for small block deals. They are out there, you just have to be quick and get them before someone else does.

Good luck with your hunt!!

-
Back