BB Gear Ratios

-

adamm

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in what gear ratio's everyone is running behind your big blocks (transmission and rear diff), and how happy they are with the results; looking to better understand what to purchase and expect for my own setup.

Currently I have a 451 build in progress, with a Strange S60 running 4.10's at the rear in a '74 Dart Sport. I will be driving my girl all summer, and to car shows, so I am looking to have a quiet comfortable highway experience, while taking advantage of the BB torque at low speeds.

Lets hear what you have, and how you like it! I'mopen to any suggestions.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

It depends on how tall a tire you are going to run. With a 26" tire I had 3.91's and swapped them out for 3.55's. Car really did not slow down much at all but much happier on the freeway. I would say 3.54 would be good for a street ratio unless you are going to run a 29" tire and the maybe 3.73's

I have a 500 stroker with tons of torque. I run 28 inch street tires. I started with 3.91's and they were too much for comfortable cruising. I swapped in 3.23's and that was too far the other way. I am now running 3.55's and have finally found a happy medium. I race the car occasionally and I was also shooting for a max of 5500 RPM through the traps with my 27 inch slicks.

With the S60 I think your only choise is 3.54 or 4.10 or deeper. I'm not sure if they even make 3.73 or anything less than 3.54 for the 60 series. I have 4.10 in my truck with 32'' tires and it buzzes about 28-2900 rpm around 60 mph.

With the S60 I think your only choise is 3.54 or 4.10 or deeper. I'm not sure if they even make 3.73 or anything less than 3.54 for the 60 series. I have 4.10 in my truck with 32'' tires and it buzzes about 28-2900 rpm around 60 mph.
I have A 3;73 GEAR IN MY 68 FAST BACK-DANA 60 W/ 28" TALL DRAG RADIALS--bob8)

Thanks for the info. What about the transmission? Anyone running the a833 or an aftermarket manual and what gearing?

440 dart 4.30's with 29.5 tires no likey so much going to 3.73 or 3.91's to be more happy happy on street...maybe even 3.55's...car is auto[vert is 3500] with comp xe290 solid cam..ported iron heads...just wanna drive it again...soon my son..

Drop the coin on a GV Overdrive. You and your engine will love it

The only 'coin' I could drop right now would maybe a quarter...lol..or a dime....

Rough estimate on GV overdrive set up? Does this require a shorter drive shaft? Not an option for me right now but just curious.

Rough estimate on GV overdrive set up? Does this require a shorter drive shaft? Not an option for me right now but just curious.

I have to cut a drive shaft either way, so everything is open. Also have the front floor pans and tranny hump out with new AMD replacements on the side ready to go in. This would be the perfect time for me to modify as needed.

I've been reading a lot of good info on the tremecs here too.

My son's 67 GT convertible has a VERY mild 440 backed by an 18-spline 833 and a 3.23 Sure Grip equipped 8-3/4. The car cruised (currently in the process of coming apart for paint, finally) effortlessly at 70 and has tons of low end torque. He had 235-60-15 rear tires.

While I have not put my Barracuda together yet, it will have a slightly hotter cammed 440 backed by a 727 and 3.55 SG 8-3/4. I'll probably have 215-60-15 tires all around.

I have a 1965 Coronet 440 that is totally stock looking with a 451 in it 727 and an eight and three quarter with 4.30 gears I drive the car on the street it's not real hwy. friendly thou but I took it to the drags and it went 12.7 @ 111 mph through the mufflers on the street tires, Then i bolted a set of 10.5 X29 slicks on it and it ran 11.9 @ 112 mph through the mufflers I drive it to the cruises just the way it ran 11.9 everybody loves the car and it sounds awesome good luck I would go with the 3.55's for the street as these engines make tons of torque :)

I have a 1965 Coronet 440 that is totally stock looking with a 451 in it 727 and an eight and three quarter with 4.30 gears I drive the car on the street it's not real hwy. friendly thou but I took it to the drags and it went 12.7 @ 111 mph through the mufflers on the street tires, Then i bolted a set of 10.5 X29 slicks on it and it ran 11.9 @ 112 mph through the mufflers I drive it to the cruises just the way it ran 11.9 everybody loves the car and it sounds awesome good luck I would go with the 3.55's for the street as these engines make tons of torque :)

My 500 ran 11.8 @ 115 through the mufflers on slicks last year with 3.55 gears. Torque is great.

I like higher gears with big blocks. They have more bottom end grunt and can pull a highway gear well. I think a 3.23 with the right combination ahead of it is a magical gear. It works really well.

My A833 in my Challenger is ahead of my 3:55 rear and wouldn't like to go any steeper and do freeway driving.

I have 470" low deck, 3:73's with an 833 and a 26" tire. Cruises easily at 65-70 mph

-
Back