BC/CC OR Single stage ??

BC/CC or Single stage??

• Total voters
-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
what have you guys out there used on your solid, non metallic, maybe high impact colors.

Top banana, Panther pink, Sassy grass, J5 Green, even white ...or the like. Would you use a single stage for an O.E. look or enhance the shine with a Base coat clear coat.

If you want them to look original, there's no choice. Single stage.

I vote BCCC. When done right it just makes sense for the long haul!

Single stage,make it urethane ,please.... "Paintforcars.com..." ,Or TCP Global.....

If the painter is any good, he can adjust the orange peel in the clear coat to look like what a factory single stage would of had, so you get the factory look, but better protection from a clear coat

The look of single stage is different, and to me bc/cc looks "thinner" and out of place on these cars, a quality urethane is what I like

SS. I've done two now and I really like the look. For a garage spray... Get a high solids paint and put on 3-4 coats. Both allow you to have the thickness to correct issues and flatten the paint.

To me there is nothing easier to spray than a base clear. You can lay it on nice and slick if that is what you like or can orange peel it like factory.

I am using a single stage. Having only sprayed the interior parts, I am well pleased. I understand the bc/ cc will probably be more durable for the long haul, but my car will have a nice garage and will probably not be driven in the elements very often. But then again, once I finish this project I may drive her everyday. I can always paint it again if it doesn't hold

..isn't the clear coat on bc/cc urethane anyway.
urethane is very economical,can be cut and polished and usually gives a "wetter" look
..so that would be my choice.

I would argue also that bc/cc is actually LESS durable than single stage. I have 2 cars that still have factory paint, one is a 70 duster, doubt there is a base/clear that could last 46 years...

I would argue also that bc/cc is actually LESS durable than single stage. I have 2 cars that still have factory paint, one is a 70 duster, doubt there is a base/clear that could last 46 years...
an acrylic enamel or urethane is a harder paint than a BC/cc system and will definitely outlast it. they paint entire fleets of cars and trucks with SS

Here Rani, this is fj6 in single stage

20141019_115105.jpg

Here Rani, this is fj6 in single stage

View attachment 1714968766

BINGO!!!! you just drove this discussion home .....I am doing a Father/daughter project now with my dad and we are planning FJ6 sassy grass on a duster so this is absolutely perfect.

can I ask what brand and system you used because I would love our car to look like that .

I have a 2012 Ford fusion that has the c/ c starting to peel. Single stage for me

You can do both. PPG single stage, and probably others, you can do 2 coats of single stage, and then the 3rd coat is 1/2 and 1/2 single stage and clearcoat mixed together. Best way in my opinion.

The look of single stage is different, and to me bc/cc looks "thinner" and out of place on these cars, a quality urethane is what I like

Best description yet. The single stage looks much more "era correct". To me, the BCCC is just too shiny.

You can do both. PPG single stage, and probably others, you can do 2 coats of single stage, and then the 3rd coat is 1/2 and 1/2 single stage and clearcoat mixed together. Best way in my opinion.
I thought I had read somewhere that when you mixed the base coat with clear it would actually have less shine to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I either read it or saw it somewhere. I could be wrong and am not suggesting you are wrong just trying to learn all that I can.

I thought I had read somewhere that when you mixed the base coat with clear it would actually have less shine to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I either read it or saw it somewhere. I could be wrong and am not suggesting you are wrong just trying to learn all that I can.
I think that is the purpose.. to tone down the 'glossy'.

I'm curious what tip size gets used for base, clear and fixed..

-
Back